Join now - be part of our community!

SMALL CLAIMS COURT AND MEDIATION SERVICES.

STEVEB1244

SMALL CLAIMS COURT AND MEDIATION SERVICES.

I am instigating a small claims action against Sony in the UK for breach of contract concerning the Bravia Xperia phone promotion.

Which magazine Lawyers suggest the involvement of Small Claims Mediation Service.
Has anyone any experience of this service as it seems the Small Claims Court looks favourably on the plaintiff if all avenues of potential resolution are explored before court action and enforcement becomes the last resort.

Given that court publicity is harmfull to Sony are they likely to respond to mediation?

Observing the number of complaints raised in this forum unaddressed and ignored by Sony it seems doubtfull that they would respond.
Has anyone tried and been sussessful by this means to obtain Sony's attention?
Both options are not expensive and court appearance is mandatory for both parties.

If the claim is ignored then a request for a judgement form may be made.
If Sony contest the claim the judge will look to see if an out of court settlement was sought to resolve the dispute. As it has not then the Judge will pass judgment after the hearing.

This appears to be a fair and equitable procedure.
Small cost, low risk of rejection, good publicity to help prevent similar deceptions to other potential customers.

All this just to gain Sony's attention?
I am pleased the law gives me the opportunity to air my grievance and the chance to redress my loss.
I hope the ensuing publicity will induce Sony to amend its failing Customer Service and restore it's image to match that of it's fine products.

1 REPLY 1

Hi there,

after reading your article Im now looking at pursuing a small claim against Sony with the problems Ive had with them.

Very briefly, I bought a Sony Bravia TV in late 2012. The TV developed a fault in late 2014 which has resulted in me being told by the engineer that I need a new screen. The television is covered under 5 year warranty. The engineer took the tv away and two weeks later Im told that the tv cant be repaired as Sony do not make that screen anymore. 

I was then told that the engineer received an email from Sony saying they would replace the tv with another model.

I asked what the model was and if it was a new tv? I was told that he didnt know if it was new or old as the email didnt state and that the tv was a 42" model. The one that was sent back was a 40".

I was given a number to contact to find out more.

I then contacted five different phone numbers that I was passed onto, one from the other, and eventually spoke to a Mohammed about my issue.

I was told that this was a second hand tv which mines was, which was in pristine condition, was being replaced with.

I checked online and this tv is £429 new. I paid £800 for my tv plus extras meaning I spent just over £1000 in store that day when I purchased my tv.

I said I wasnt really happy about this and he replied that this was an automatic computer decision and I should be getting something better and he would sort it.

Two weeks downt the line and with multiple phone calls and emails being made I am no further forward.

Your advice on this if you have any would be gretaly appreciated.