Join now - be part of our community!

New Widgets for Bravia

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ekim64
Visitor

New Widgets for Bravia

Lots of people crying out for months itv player and 4OD for their Bravia.

Are there any firm plans to deliver these services or do we just have to live in hope !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

As per other thread - yes we of course want to add more partners to the platform, but there are a number of commercial and techncial hurdles that need to be addressed with any partner. At the moment we have no news we can share on ITV and Channel 4.

I too wish it was just as simple as pressing a button!

Message was edited by: Catmambo

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Catmambo
Contributor

As per other thread - yes we of course want to add more partners to the platform, but there are a number of commercial and techncial hurdles that need to be addressed with any partner. At the moment we have no news we can share on ITV and Channel 4.

I too wish it was just as simple as pressing a button!

Message was edited by: Catmambo

KDL-22PX300
Visitor

"technical hurdles"  As I understand it ITV Player and 4OD on PS3 deliver a picture quaility that is somewhat degraded when compared to the likes of iPlayer. I can not confirm the above statement due to YLOD kill to my PlayStation 3 but was informed by a friend with a functional machine.

Can you say that if both services arrive on Bravia the streaming quaility will be comparable to existing channels.

Catmambo
Contributor

Having seen the PS3 solution, my own thoughts, rather than company standpoint is that iPlayer set the quality bar so high,in terms of interface, bitrate and overall experience. So I think it will take other broadcasters a while to catch-up and create a soution that performs on par with iPlayer on any platform.

Thanks

KDL-22PX300
Visitor

Thanks Catmambo, The current running services I have viewed ( 200X produced material ) have all been of excellent visual quality.

Is the recently announced - Crackle - network a worldwide service?

Catmambo
Contributor

Crackle is run by Sony Pictures Televison, who run Sony Entertainment Television for us here on BIV. No plans at the moment as they are focussed on launched SET on Sky later this month and then sprucing up the content on BRAVIA also. There are other portals such as SET that they could push some of the Crackle content through at the moment - never say never, but not right now..

thanks

stewmcghie

so are there any new widgets planned ?

7 day weather forecast, share prices, calendar, world clock, etc

profile.country.GB.title
jazuk1
Explorer

I dont think its the ps3 thats the issue on ITV its poor on a pc so its itv side. ON a ps3 you cant get 5 so the 2 together you get all 4 (virgin tivo offers all 4 so i dont think its just a techinical issue, oh my pc gets all 4)

5 demand is very good, but may be a bit soft looking. (no advetrts and is the thing (sad) my wife watches all the time.

Oh if only the sony was android powered no need for seperate widgets just jump into athe vast available ones.

The minimum would be that the TV should be a media player. SO on4 and itv must be developed. (love films and sony Q are available on both PS3 and Brav, is this because end user cash is available?).

My not so useful oppinion would be that Weather and stockmarkets can be got on PC or mobile phone, lets get the basics of media streaming sorted before non TV gadgets are added. Im sorry but twitter on a 50 inch TV but I cant watch ITV palyer.

Improving on media player and showing album art with better indexing and play list (oh android its there), would be better than the current boring text list.

Also multitasking like playing MP3's while viewing photos would be great, yes you can sort of do it now, but any changes causes a stop to the slide show and music stopping.

PS on4 on the ps3 is as good as 5, so itv get your streaming sorted

Message was edited by: jazuk1

Message was edited by: jazuk1