Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W829B + BDV-N5200W

Slashformayor
Explorer

KDL-50W829B + BDV-N5200W

I have tried for hours to get my above TV connected via ARC to my BDV-N5200W. The receiver has HDMI control on, ARC set to 'Auto' and HDMI Input to HDMI. The TV has all Bravia Sync options turned on and speaker output set to 'Audio System'.
Even after double checking the above, and even removing all other inputs (Lan, Optical and HDMI etc) so as just the Receiver and TV are connected, in the list of Bravia Sync connected devices it comes shows 0. Even when i press ok on the highlighted enable button, nothing happens. I have also tried reverting to default settings and unplugging both units for 30 seconds.
I ordered the Surroud system based on the TV being Sony, and the fact that i required ARC as the receiver is in a TV unit. I have tried for many hours going through the same options with no luck and have gotten really frustrated with it.
As of now i have no audio (unless i use the built in TV speakers) and no way of operating the receiver unless i use the receiver remote with the unit door open. If i use a TOSLink cable from the TV to the receiver i can get audio, but that is all.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just to cover the basic:

• bravia sync is enabled also on BDV?
  • HDMI input on the TV is connected to the only one enabled for ARC?
  • what's happen if you press "sync menu" on the remote? Does it shows any device?

Slashformayor
Explorer

Bravia Sync is enabled on TV. HDMI Control (No option for Bravia Sync) is enabled on BDV.

HDMI Cable is connected to HDMI IN 2 on TV (ARC enabled), and other end is connected to HDMI OUT (Arc enabled) on BDV.

If i go to Settings - External Inputs - Bravia Sync Device List, there are no connected devices. There is a highlighted button which says 'Enable', which sends a confirmation to connected devices, however this does nothing once pressed.

I have been advised to remove all other devices, unplug, and try again, which i have done numerous times to no avail.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Are you sure about the HDMI cable? It should be 1.4 to be working with ARC specification... do you have the possibility to swap it with another?

You should have a "sync menu" button in your remote: what happen if you press it?

Slashformayor
Explorer

I'm not sure on the Sync Menu button until i get home.

The cables were 1.4a and new as of last November when i finished my media install. Replacement is not currently an option, as they are embedded into the wall. I have 4 of the same HDMI cables in the wall, one for each port, i have swapped with another of those cables and with the same results.

I have also been told to put both BDV and TV into standby mode, and then power on. This sometimes sends a 'handshake' down the cable and forces connectivity? I have powered the units on and off at the wall and remote several times with no success though so i don't think this will help.

Any other ideas?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Let's try what function you have when pressing the sync menu button. I know you already told you don't have any other device attached, but please be sure you detach everything from TV and BDV to test it sicne some set top box (like sky for example) are known to introduce interference in HDMI handshake...

Slashformayor
Explorer

The 'Sync Menu' button shows a screen explaining what Bravia Sync is and it's benefits, before asking me to press the ok button, where it takes me to the 'Bravia Sync Settings' menu. This is the same menu i access through the settings - External Inputs sub menu. Still no devices shown as connected.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

So it definitevely seems that Bravia sync is not enabled on the TV... Can you post a picture of the bravia sync settings that you have on it?

Slashformayor
Explorer

KDL-50W829B Bravia Sync Settings Menu

BDV-N5200W HDMI Control Settings Menu

I have attached 2 images above. Hope this helps.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi Slashformayor,

Unfortunately I do not see any wrong setting.

Referring to troubleshooting guide in the US knowledge base https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40851/kw/bravia%20sync

I think you have only one last resource: trying a power reset! (given that I don't think you have another Tv box in order to establish if the problem is with the TV itself or the BDV...)