Join now - be part of our community!

KDL - 50W685A - Lines Across Screen & Buzzing - Teardown

WoodyzR
New

KDL - 50W685A - Lines Across Screen & Buzzing - Teardown

Hi All,

Hoping for some advice / help. My just 5 year old Sony Bravia KDL-50W685A has out of the blue yesterday developed a buzzing / whistling sound and is displaying horizontal black lines across the entire screen.

After spending a few hours on google reading through posts I decided to strip it down, removed all connectors / re-seated them, gave everything a clean up - but no joy.

I originally thought the buzzing / whistling was coming from the main board capacitors, they didn't look blown - I managed by luck to pick up another main board from a chap within a few miles from me from eBay - who will happily give a refund if the part didn’t  do the job, but sadly the same end result, so I switched back to my original main board.

Decided to go for broke, so I stripped the TV right down - managed to troubleshoot and this is what I have come to conclude. When not plugging in the connector for the LED driver board I still get the buzzing / whistling sound (But no picture as you would expect) so believe this rules out the LED driver board.

When not plugging in the zif connector ribbon to the T-con board the buzzing isn't there - which points me towards the T-Con board - as its not getting power - hence no buzzing / whistling.

(Not having either of these connected means after several seconds the TV fails and the red light blinks start as you would expect with error codes)

Once I got everything stripped down I could pin down the buzzing / whistling sound was actually coming from around the T-Con board area - perhaps underneath the protective metal shield below the LED driver board, so not the main board after all.

From spending another few hours reading posts on the internet, I don't think I can replace the T-Con board - its one of the long thin boards which runs half the length on the TV and is connected by film ribbons which appear to be bonded to the board and the T-Con board and the screen, I also cant find any for sale at all!

I would welcome any help or input - first time I have had a crack at a TV! I have done many iPhone repairs but I am a rookie on the TV front.

I have added some photos below - showing the horizontal lines then the teardown.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Lines across screenLines across screen

Main board removedMain board removed

Fully stripped to see t-con boardFully stripped to see t-con board

Lines across screenLines across screen

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I would recommend getting in touch with the support team for further advice on this here.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
BrAjN78
New

Hi, I just had yestarday exactly the same issue mine is a KDL - 42W653A, I worked this morning on the problem and I found the faulty part, the problem is related to the little QFN power ic which drive the LED:

IC.png

I have bought one on ebay for just £3.69 and replaced on my own.

The following picture will show you where this IC is located:

1.jpg2.jpg 

Hope that will help!

:wink: