Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40R455B video problem

Qinson
New

KDL-40R455B video problem

Hy,i have a problem. When i play video by USB flash whitch its resolution is not formal like(1920x800) i cant change aspeck ratio or fill whole screen. It just automatically width size not hight. I do not know what to do. Sorry for english.20150122_001301[1].jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

TVs display a resolution of 1920x1080, which is 16:9 or 1.78:1 (Aspect Ratio).  If you watch a movie in this format, it will display it fully on the TV.  Even though our TVs are 16:9 (which is standard widescreen), this is not the same as Cinema's.

In Cinemas, they use an aspect ratio called CinemaScope (kinda like wide widescreen) - which is now referred with the numbers of 2.35:1, 2.39:1, or 2.40:1.  Many movies available on bluray these days are in this CinemaScope for a true Cinema experience.  This therefore gives black bars at the top and bottom to fit the video footage to our TVs.

So why to you have 1920x800 files (2.40:1).  May BR rippers/encoder groups remove (ie crop) out this black bars from the original disc.  This lowers the file sizes as the original black bars are basically useless data and not needed.  However the movie/video will still be in its orignal aspect ratio size (ie CinemaScope). 

If you was to fill the whole screen, you would have to set the TV to WideZoom or something like that, but you will loose video footage from the 2 horizontal sides.  Unfortunately there is no way that you can 'stretch' the image to fit the TV fully as the bluray format doesnt support this (called Anamorphic Widescreen) You would need a wider widescreen TV to resolve this fully 21:9.

Hopefully this explains things

Cheers

Qinson
New

Hy again. Thanks for your answer, but there is something I did not mention, and hope it will help me. If I play by set top box conected with SCART, i can use Wide Mode. And playing by USB flash i can do width zoom but only width, and if i want to use function WIde Mode then TV warn me that current function is unavailable for this input.Is there some way where i can download it? Again sorry for my english. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately you cannot do anything, its the way the video is im afraid.

Cheers

Qinson
New

Hy, then why there is that Wide Mode when I cant use it? It doesn't make any sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Widemode is used generally for people who like to stretch a video with an aspect ration 4:3 (Not wide screen) to a 16:9 screen.  However in most cases this simply stretches the picture, and everyone looks fat.

More information about aspect ratio's

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the-aspect-ratio-4-3-16-9-21-9

Cheers