Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32EX503 BBC iPlayer not working

joburdo
Explorer

KDL-32EX503 BBC iPlayer not working

TV is a 2010 model with Firmware PKG4.117EUL-0108 with a Sony wireless dongle. It connects to the wireless router (which is getting an 11MB connection) but iPlayer keeps cutting out even on the low band width setting. 5 on demand and other internet services are all OK and I can connect a tablet and get the iPlayer to work in the same location. So logic says it must be the TV/wireless dongle/ iPlayer that is the problem.

This has been going on for ages now and not only is there no solution the communication on what is happening is poor as well.

Can someone please let us know what is happening?

Thank you.

John
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think you know whats happening - Wireless issue.  To confirm this firstly, connect an ethernet cable from the TV to the router and then test it out.  If it works, you might want to invest in homeplugs instead of the dongle (or keep using that ethernet cable)

Cheers

joburdo
Explorer

All the other internet services work without problem and up until about 9 months ago the iPlayer worked on the the high resolution option. Now it is slow to load and starts buffering after playing for a couple of minutes. It also often stops completely after about 15 mins and some times gives a message of "file not found".

The other day I watch about 45 mins of Demand 5 without any problem on the same wireless connection.That's what makes me think it is not the wireless link. I'm also getting 2 bars on the signal strength when I check the Network Set Up screen.

Thanks for trying to help.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats the thing - 2 bars is just not enough headroom, especially if there are signal dropouts.  I know you say others apps work ok.  But it just maybe that the iPlayer requires more headroom/bandwidth.  My mum uses the wifi dongle too, and struggles with any less than 3 bars. 

A couple of suggestions:

• Have you tried using the break-away extension cable (to place it away from the tv a little)?
  • Try a factory reset of the TV - may just clear out any "gremlins"
  • Try the ethernet cable solution.  If it works, you might be better off to invest in homeplugs instead.

Hope this helps anyhow.

Cheers

joburdo
Explorer

OK you were right it is the wireless connection. That's the good news.

The bad news I paid a lot for a Sony wireless dongle that seems pretty useless. It only gets a 3bar connection when it's sitting right next to the router!

Thanks for the help.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems - At least it confirms where the problem lies now. 

The Wifi Dongle is great......when it works as intended.

You could try changing the wifi channel on your router to a hopefully less crowded one.  I use a program called inSSIDer (google it), which tells me which signals and channels I am picking up.  I also have wifi issues (and only use it for a few devices) as I live in a block of flats and the wifi spectrum is really crowded here.  Therefore my neighbours effect my signal.  Could be whats happening to you??

Good luck with everything.