Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia HX-823 has killed my external 1TB HDD

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jordan8445
Explorer

Bravia HX-823 has killed my external 1TB HDD

I registered the FAT32 HDD on the TV.  I de-registered it once I realised it only recorded digital TV.  Now, no PC will recognise the HDD, which cost me over 100 pound.  How do I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello Jordan,

Sorry to hear about your problem, and i agree with you that there are some complaints here over Sony forums about same or similar case.

I guess Sony have a problem issue and have to do analysis to fix it (specially with TB HDD)

During the registration / un-registration Some corruption happend to - files allocation table on the boot sector - of your HDD ....but the hard disk itself are fine...don't worry about it

If that what happend with you,  then you will not see the HDD listed in windows explorer

There are many softwares available for fix that problem , just google for (fix file allocation table)

I used some of them before such as GetData back / or HDD regenerator

Keep us updated with your feedback

Good luck

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Bravia55HX

Hi,

can you not see the drive at all in "my computer", even in its current state (FAT32) you should see it there, if so you should be able to right click on it and re format it back to NTFS.

it would be crazy to think the drive is wasted because it will only work in FAT32 on the tv

jordan8445
Explorer

I don't see the drive under My Computer.  Its powered as well.  I have seen this issue been raised by someone else after googling the problem.  I have tried it on my laptop, and it doesn't appear there either.

Bravia55HX

Ok, sorry that was not much help, i looked on the net, apparently theres another way, slightly different to last one,

go to start, right click computer, click manage, then disk management, it should show up there, then it says you can delete the partitions on it then re partition and format to NTFS.

have a look at that, failing that i know someone very hot on computers if i see him i'll ask.

but i think Sony should step up to the mark with a better explanation and a fix, this is clearly a breakdown in communication with current information regarding the use of external hard drives for use on tv's, my guess its a copyright issue on recorded material, Sony are a bit funny about it, especially if your recording material from the tv to play elsewhere!, not everyone has the money to spend on multiple drives though, and one for general use should be more than enough.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello Jordan,

Sorry to hear about your problem, and i agree with you that there are some complaints here over Sony forums about same or similar case.

I guess Sony have a problem issue and have to do analysis to fix it (specially with TB HDD)

During the registration / un-registration Some corruption happend to - files allocation table on the boot sector - of your HDD ....but the hard disk itself are fine...don't worry about it

If that what happend with you,  then you will not see the HDD listed in windows explorer

There are many softwares available for fix that problem , just google for (fix file allocation table)

I used some of them before such as GetData back / or HDD regenerator

Keep us updated with your feedback

Good luck

jordan8445
Explorer

Bravia55HX923 thanks man that did the trick.  HDD back online.

Bravia55HX

jordan8445,

superb job!, i'm really pleased that worked, sometimes we dont always see whats in front of us, now perhaps for others in a similar position can share our findings. i still think Sony should have pointed this out to us:smileywink:

profile.country.en_IE.title
maldini
Visitor

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem as the original guy.  However my hdd doesnt show up at all in disc management.  Its extremely infuriating that this happens to a hdd when we use one with sony bravia's.

Anyone with an idea on how I can sort it out if the disc management thing doesnt work?

Thanks for any help

Bawmer
Visitor

Similar problems. Disk appears in disk management as healthy primary partition but only option is to delete volume. All other options greyed out.

The only other solutions i have seen involve wiping and formatting from linux. Not sure my skills are up to that.

Bawmer
Visitor

Now sorted thanks.