Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia 42W 706B Picture Quality.

helmar189
Explorer

Bravia 42W 706B Picture Quality.

Hi, can anyone assist with a picture quality problem I have.

I have just recently had this TV supplied as a replacement for the same model I purchased late January that was deemed to have a faulty panel/ processor. Unfortunately the replacement set is from the same batch (Dec 2014) and the serial no is just 30 digits later than the previously supplied faulty set.

On installing this TV I noticed that from the box the HD reception was blurred on some programmes and not others, but I believed I could probably make some adjustments to clear up the picture. I tried making the adjustments on scene select (general). I was unable to secure a quality picture above about 60% of the time. I have done a factory re set to no avail, I checked the signal inputs which were Strength 100%, Quality 100%. I am just baffled why the blurring seems to come and go. I did try the Sport scene select setting and this seemed to offer a slightly better picture clarity. I have noticed that when I press the information button the resolution 1080i and 1080p indication keeps fluctuating even on the same broadcast. The SD picture clarity is pretty poor all round.

I am seriously hoping that I can find a solution to this problem by adjustment only. I am really hoping I have not got another faulty set from a bad batch. Starting to have doubts to the benefits of this model.

Would be grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Helmar 189

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.en_GB.title
garfield100

What happens when you view BBC iplayer HD and Demand 5 content instead of live Freeview content ?

helmar189
Explorer

Hi Garfield100, sorry for not replying sooner had appointment.

I have tried viewing on BBC iplayer and had a mixed bag of quality some good some blurred, and most of the 5 Demand seems as though it is out of focus. Makes you feel as though you need to rub your eyes.

Helmar189

garfield100

fwiw, give these settings which I use mainly in day time and early evenings (dim lit room) a try for Freeview content:

Light sensor Off
Scene Select General
Picture Mode Custom
Backlight 4
Contrast 85 (to avoid eye strain in evenings with above backlight setting)
Brightness 54 (for daytime)
Colour 53
Hue 0
Colour Temp Warm 1
Sharpness 50
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG NR Off
Dot NR Off
Reality Creation: Manual, Resolution:20, Noise reduction:Min
Smooth Grad Off
Film Mode Auto

Black Corrector Off
Adv. Con Off
Gamma 0
Auto Light Off
Clear White Off
Live Colour off
White Balance: 0 0 0 0 0 0
Detail Enhancer Low
Edge Enhancement Off
Skin Nat Off

For Freeview HD:
Make sure Full Pixel is enabled in Settings -> Display -> Screen
Reality Creation Off.

helmar189
Explorer

Hi, garfield100

thanks for your input. Have tried the settings you listed, and have mixed results.

BBC1 ok

BBC2 blurred 

ITV    ok

Channel 4 blurred

They do appear to be out of focus and more so when picture moves from one shot to another quickly it seems as though the new scene is slow to adjust its focus. Hope you can understand what I mean.

In settings - display - screen I do not have any reference to pixels in the list.

Target input            current

Screen Format        full

Auto format            on

4.3 Default             wide zoom

Auto display           off         *

Display area           normal

Screen position      -------      

Vertical size           0           *

* these are not adjustable with this setting

All chanels are showing on the information button to be in 1080i.

Thanks.

helmar189
Explorer

My older Television before going Sony was a 5year old 32" Phillips, which was ok but needed replacing.My first Sony, the out of box picture was superb untill it started playing up. So was not spoilt by higher spec TV.

Cheers.

garfield100

The full pixel setting is only visible when watching a Freeview HD channel.

Where there is movement in the picture against a static background, can you tell me if the static background becomes blurred or does the background detail stay sharp?

Or is it just the fast motion which looks slightly blurred or juddery?  (eg. someone waving their arms)

At time of writing, Homes under the Hammer is showing on BBC1, Great British Railway Journeys on BBC2 and Undercover Boss USA on Ch4.  All three look fine to me on Freeview HD and SD. Possibly the BBC2 programme may look a bit softer.

Check also Settings->Display->Video Input Settings->SBM=On (best left On)

Try turning SBM Off.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Also what is the picture like when just playing a dvd  or movie files etc?

Regardless, it sounds like the TV isn't doing what it should be :cry:

I have a feeling you won't like my advice but I'll give it anyway lol.

Take it back! :wink:

helmar189
Explorer

Hi, Sorry for delay in replying but I have medical appointments on most days at present. I have no pixel setting adjustments when in HD on freeview, and checked several HD inputs with no success. I found the SBM and this was on. Turned it off with no noticeable difference.

On most screen shots the background is out of focus if the foreground is in focus, and if the image changes from one shot to another quickly the foreground image is out of focus until the tv catches up and re focuses.

There is also judder in the images when camera pans.

I have tried viewing a standard dvd and the picture is not outstanding and has blurred scenes. Tried blue ray with a better result, but the images would never convince me if I didn't know better to buy a blue ray set up.

I have this afternoon called in to speak to the retailer who are going to let an engineer have a look this weekend.

hoping this might come up with a result, but I have stated no repair.

Cheers.

helmar189
Explorer

Hi jumpsuit, thanks for your input. I have tried to answer your questions in my reply to garfield100.

Cheers