Join now - be part of our community!

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

profile.country.en_GB.title
drchrissmith
New

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

Hi

Just an enquiry on what the status is of the recently introduced problem on the BBC HD channel on the EX503 (and probably all 2010 Sony TV's that can receive Freeview HD). The new BBC HD codec now allows for dynamic switching between 1080p and 1080i content which causes a short dropout in the audio stream on Sony TV's. Is this problem going to be addressed by Sony/BBC with an update as it makes BBC HD fairly unwatchable with the continuous audio dropouts.

Other than this issue very happy with the TV (aprt from not being able to slect HD channel override so BBC1/ITV etc could be set to use the HD version by default).

Thanks

Chris

176 REPLIES 176
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi all

Just a quick note to apologise for the inconvenience and to confirm engineering are working on a fix at the moment. I can't confirm a date at the moment as these things can slip a little, but I would hope it would be pushed out in the next few weeks or so maybe sooner after field testing. Rest assured it is very much on our rader and being treated as a priority.

Thanks for your patience.

rgds

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Thanks Catmambo,

All most of us wanted was an official statement regarding the course of action being taken. The silence from Sony just created stress and uncertainty, particularly when parts of your organisation seem to have been shifting blame onto the BBC (thus making it appear that you were not working on a fix).

As it appears to be a common fault across both 2010 and 2011 models can we assume that the fix will apply to all affected models?

Catmambo
Contributor

Indeed, as its down to the way that both 2010 and 2011 devices handle the BBC feeds, I would imagine it would be a fix for both.

Thanks

MikeAustin
Visitor

Assuming that what Catmambo says is the 'official' Sony position, I am prepared to wait. It means that, as a fix is 'possible', there will be no problems in the future should the other HD channels adopt this 1080i/1080p switching. I am also waiting for Sony support to confirm that a fix is coming.

anturnb27
New

I thank you for your update and would ask that you continue to keep us informed when certain milestones have been reached i.e. when a fix is generally agreed to have been completed and field testing is to start and then when you expect the update to be made available for download ?

This problem has been ongoing for two months and we've only had a couple of responses from Sony staff actually acknowledging the problem.

Or why not release a weekly bulletin on how you're progressing? People are more inclined to be understanding of the situation if they're kept informed.

Message was edited by: anturnb27

profile.country.GB.title
Pixelz

@Catmambo

Thanks for the update, it is appreciated.  I'm prepared to live with this for a few more weeks.

Like other contributors to the thread, I'd also suggest you pass this information to your colleagues in customer support and to your retailers, so that they can handle phone enquiries for themselves.  IMO it would also be helpful if your company issued a formal announcement or press release confirming the intention to fix this.

But thanks again for the information.

stallar60
Visitor

Hi

I've just spoken to John Lewis Technical about this issue with my KDL-40EX503. They spoke to Sony whilst I was on hold. Sony said that they are aware of the issue but won't be releasing an update as the BBC are going to resolve the issue very soon. Everyone I speak to contradicts someone else. Just for the record the lady I spoke to at JL was excellent and was very determined to get an answer from Sony. JL technical can be contacted on 03301230106.

I also sent several emails to Sony, it took 3 weeks to get a reply and then they didn't know anything about it.

When will Sony realise that reassurance and communication is key to customer loyalty.

I want to know if a firmware update WILL resolve this issue. Is the hardware compatible? If Sony can reassure me that an update will fix the problem then I can wait. WE NEED AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT!!!!!

Thanks

Ste

MikeAustin
Visitor

Quote:

"I have been advised that we should wait for Sony and the BBC to  upgrade  their technology as the fault lies with them and not the  television itself."

A prize to anyone who can tell me what JL are saying

Trans: There is nothing wrong with the television, so don't return it.

Where do I get my prize?

MikeAustin
Visitor

I think someone explained it earlier in this thread. BBC are experimenting with their transmissions (on BBC HD only) to get more efficient compression. It may be that TV manufacturers were not prepared for this.

My concern was that this might be the way to go on all HD channels and, if Sony could not update, my brand new TV would be useless for all HD.

Still waiting for confirmation from Sony support ....

stevehicks
Visitor

Hm,

Something has changed. I still get sound dropouts, but now my home cinema amplifier tells me that the sound is not being being transmitted in dolby digital whereas my pvr tells me it is!