Join now - be part of our community!

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

profile.country.en_GB.title
drchrissmith
New

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

Hi

Just an enquiry on what the status is of the recently introduced problem on the BBC HD channel on the EX503 (and probably all 2010 Sony TV's that can receive Freeview HD). The new BBC HD codec now allows for dynamic switching between 1080p and 1080i content which causes a short dropout in the audio stream on Sony TV's. Is this problem going to be addressed by Sony/BBC with an update as it makes BBC HD fairly unwatchable with the continuous audio dropouts.

Other than this issue very happy with the TV (aprt from not being able to slect HD channel override so BBC1/ITV etc could be set to use the HD version by default).

Thanks

Chris

176 REPLIES 176
stevehicks
Visitor

I am close now to talking to my retailer and rejecting the TV as not being fit for purpose.

If I do, I don't think I shall buy another Sony set any time soon.

The lack of any official statement from Sony on this is lamentable.

I

MikeAustin
Visitor

This is my first post here, having bought a KDL-40HX803 just six days ago and found the audio drop-out on BBC HD. I am passing my KDL-32EX503 to a friend, but I don't recall the problem on that TV.

My Humax HDR Fox T2 has no problems with BBC HD, so I can at least watch this channel until a fix comes through. However, I would like to be sure a fix is coming through at some point. I don't really want to change an otherwise excellent TV.

stevehicks
Visitor

I use the Humax HDR Fox T2 to same effect.

Based on your experience then, Sony are currently retailing freeview HD televisions that have a known fault.

Sale of Goods Act anybody?

MikeAustin
Visitor

I got my HX803 with £200 off for a trade-in at John Lewis. This deal seems to be quite common. I wonder if there is a connection - i.e. jobbing off inadequate goods?

MikeAustin
Visitor

Oops - double post

Message was edited by: MikeAustin

profile.country.GB.title
Pixelz

But the BBC have nothing to 'fix'.  The new encoder is conforming to the published specification.  It's the Sony Bravia firmware that needs to be fixed, and no amount of denial will change that.  I can see now why the Sony advertising tag line is 'Make.Believe'

And their comments about staff at BBC London (above) are unhelpful at best.

rkdirdsd
Visitor

Someone from Sony phoned me today about this problem, he then said it is nothing to do with them and,  I quote "those typical English Sheep Shaggers at BBC London have fiddled with the freeview specifications again". After listening.I then put the phone down.

I think this is pointing towards having to wait for the BBC to fix this, not Sony, as all the other HD channels are not causing problems.

MikeAustin
Visitor

My KDL-40HX803 is brand new and has the audio problem with BBC HD. I will be contacting John Lewis for support in the first instance, but how precisely do I contact Sony Support? Like many so-called support sites, one navigates pages upon pages and ends up on the page one started with. Can someone provide me with an email address and a phone number that actually works?

stevehicks
Visitor

Not good news then.

To return a set because it is not fit for purpose could now revolve around techical issues. I'd wouldn't like to be the judge in the small claims court who gets this case.

I suspect the BBC may be "within their rights" to broadcast as they are but you would think they might consider the impact this is having - and switch it off for now. There again, as we know, Panasonic recently issued a ffirmware upgrade to sort the problem out.

As for Sony ..  again a masterpiece in studied silence.

AlbertRoss12
Visitor

I have this problem also on my KDL-37ex503 purchased less than 1 year ago. Come on Sony we need a software fix for this.