Join now - be part of our community!

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

profile.country.en_GB.title
drchrissmith
New

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

Hi

Just an enquiry on what the status is of the recently introduced problem on the BBC HD channel on the EX503 (and probably all 2010 Sony TV's that can receive Freeview HD). The new BBC HD codec now allows for dynamic switching between 1080p and 1080i content which causes a short dropout in the audio stream on Sony TV's. Is this problem going to be addressed by Sony/BBC with an update as it makes BBC HD fairly unwatchable with the continuous audio dropouts.

Other than this issue very happy with the TV (aprt from not being able to slect HD channel override so BBC1/ITV etc could be set to use the HD version by default).

Thanks

Chris

176 REPLIES 176
profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

@stevehicks,

The comments you are referring to have come from the BBC R&D blog. What you have there is an engineering-centric view of the problem which is basically 'the standards make this possible, and TVs must comply with standards'. You are right that the average viewer does not care about this sort of argument about principals.

Agreed that the BBC should take steps to mitigate the situation, at least for a short time. However, this does not mean that Sony can hold back from fixing the issue. We were after all sold a device that purports to comply with the DVB-T2 standard.

The people at the BBC who need to arbitrate in this are non-technical people who are able to balance both sides of the argument. I would suggest someone like Danielle Nagler, the head of BBC HD, and not someone from R&D.

The argument for this change to mixed 1080i50 / 1080p25 seems to be that there are 'many' technical advantages in maintaining 1080p25 from the source material right through to the viewers display without any interlacing / deinterlacing for stationary & detailed images. Given the relatively low bitrates required to accommodate up to 5 HD channels on Freeview I can understand that everything possible needs to be done to maintain picture quality, and that is probably the driver behind this, particularly as the fifth HD stream will be required soon.

Pogle.S
Visitor

Eventual firmware update aside, this is a BBC problem, compounded by arrogance and the only way to get this sort of issue sorted promptly is with the credible threat of bad publicity. Go to the Govt. - and the newspapers - about it. Threaten the Govt. dept. with the bad publicity. The only thing the Beeb are afraid of is is license fee related.

Having no choice but to pay the Beeb to screw us over this way could be viewed as criminal, e.g. extortionate. Enough people put it like that - and demand a license fee refund, and put it in the national dailys - and fingers will get pulled out and arrogant corporation mouthpieces stfu.

Yes, I got the same response from the Beeb. I don't accept being talked to like that. I have much bigger problems to deal with right now but if when I get the breathing space to do something about it, people who try to screw me over will pay for it. There are enough of us to be formidable but I'll do it alone if need be.

xstasia2008
Visitor

I can only echo all the sentiments above....still no fix,an off-handed "we know better than you" type response from  the beeb, no reply at all from Sony,who have now lost forever myself as a future returning customer after shelling out £1500 this year for a tv (KDL-55EX713) that stutters sound on the very channel that should be the show-piece for the technology.

Kevin

johns159
Visitor

If anyone from Sony is monitoring this.... where is the call back i was promised? I was told i would get updated on this within 48hours by phone... that was last week! :angry:

profile.country.GB.title
Pixelz

I've been checking this thread for a while now, in anticipation of some formal announcement from Sony regarding the audio dropouts (which started almost two months ago now, on March 23rd).

Since Panasonic have now developed and released a fix, I can see no reason why Sony don't at least provide an update on their diagnosis of the fault.  Even if the news is not good, I'd prefer to be treated as an adult rather than be told nothing officially.

It may be fair to say that BBC R&D could have provided test data from the new HD encoders, and that this data might have identified the problem to the manufacturers in advance.  But in any event, given the limited bandwidth currently available to DVB-T2 broadcasts in the UK, it is clear that such advances in encoder technology will have to be rolled out in the interests of picture quality and/or additional channels.  Persuading the BBC otherwise will be counter-productive going forward.

I should also point out that my Bravia is still under guarantee, so come on Sony UK, do the right thing and provide a meaningful update, ASAP.

stevehicks
Visitor

Wel only comments I have seen from the head of BBC HD are on twitter, and states the view that this only impacts on a small number of sets and parts of programmes. Oh, and it is with the manufacturer to resolve.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

If you weren't already aware, the following is the official BBC stance on this:

http://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/questions/help_receiving/bbchd_black_flashes

Why am I experiencing audio gaps or black flashes on the BBC HD channel on Freeview?

Recently the BBC made changes to the transmission of BBC HD on Freeview. This was designed to improve display quality.

We are aware that some Integrated Digital TVs may experience gaps in sound whilst viewing the BBC HD channel on Freeview. We are trying to resolve this issue with the manufacturer. We would advise you to contact your manufacturer on this issue.

In relation to black flashes this is caused by some Integrated Digital TVs reacting to a change between the HD display modes transmitted, normally designed to improve display quality.

If you see this effect please contact your equipment manufacturer for a software update. (My highlighting).

So we can see that as far as the BBC are concerned the ball is firmly in Sonys court.

Now everyone on this thread is trying to do exactly as the BBC suggests - 'contact our manufacturer for a software update'. Unfortunately our manufacturer is not engaging with us :angry:

Message was edited by: copicke45

stevehicks
Visitor

I've just written to Which? asking them if they are aware of this issue.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

So there we have it; both sides of the story in black & white.

• BBC: We're not changing what we're doing. Contact your manufacturer for a software update.
  • Sony: We're not doing anything. It's the BBCs fault for changing the signal.

Aaargh :smileyangry::smileyangry::smileyangry:

I'm intrigued however by JLs comment that it should 'resolve itself' in a month or so. Are TV's advanced enough now to self-heal their defects over time? Hmmm - maybe a bit fanciful.

We need to understand what this statement means. Somebody must be backing down from their stated position.......

profile.country.GB.title
Pixelz

I noticed tonight that Gardener's World (BBC-HD) was unwatchable on my £900 Sony Bravia due to the frequency of audio dropouts, and yet on my PC with an HD tuner and a £21 HDMI sound card it was perfect.

You have to wonder why most set-top boxes and PC hardware are able to decode this audio without a problem if the new BBC encoder is being so unreasonable.

I'd be willing to wait on Sony for a resolution if I had some forecast for its availability.  But this apparently deliberate lack of information has driven me close to giving up on them before my guarantee expires.