Join now - be part of our community!

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

profile.country.en_GB.title
drchrissmith
New

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

Hi

Just an enquiry on what the status is of the recently introduced problem on the BBC HD channel on the EX503 (and probably all 2010 Sony TV's that can receive Freeview HD). The new BBC HD codec now allows for dynamic switching between 1080p and 1080i content which causes a short dropout in the audio stream on Sony TV's. Is this problem going to be addressed by Sony/BBC with an update as it makes BBC HD fairly unwatchable with the continuous audio dropouts.

Other than this issue very happy with the TV (aprt from not being able to slect HD channel override so BBC1/ITV etc could be set to use the HD version by default).

Thanks

Chris

176 REPLIES 176
profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Steve,

You shouldn't really be that surprised. That's how corporations work.

This problem requires an unplanned firmware re-write to resolve which will require a budget, and hence approval.

As part of this approval commercial will have asked some searching questions and determined in their own minds that this is something that the broadcasters have caused by their actions. Therefore they will have a good try at getting the BBC to reverse this change before being forced into the unplanned expenditure.

I am sure that standards and responsibility to ensure product compatibility during design will not have crossed their minds. This is part of the weakness of non-contractual requirements from standards - there is no commercial lever to resolve emerging problems like this unless there is a direct financial impact on the company (e.g. from reputational damage).

So whilst the initial response from the Engineers may well have been that they were on to it, we can probably forgive them that things are now stalled pending the meeting with the BBC.

The message should be directed to those at Sony who control the budgets and priorities - your brand and its reputation is at stake here. You surely don't want any more grief loaded onto the company than you currently have on your plates at present. Put the effort in to resolving this issue now, and conforming to standards.

The BBC have been quite clear about their position on this issue - please don't waste time trying to move the blame around. This situation could well become more widespread than just the BBC now that encoding technology is improving - you may as well put the effort in now to resolve this problem.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Attention Sony!

Panasonic have today issued a firmware update to solve this issue with their Freeview HD products (v1.518).

WHY ARE YOU WAITING AROUND FOR A MEETING WITH THE BBC???

If Panasonic can crack on with writing, testing and releasing a firmware update, why can't you?

stevehicks
Visitor

Sublime to the ridiculous!

Can anybody at Sony give us the facts about this please?

anturnb27
New

This thread is now over a month old and we still have no solution to the problem. Maybe they should speak to  Panasonic's software engineers about the update patch they did for their equipment if it's proving too difficult for them?

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Thanks for your efforts in involving JL, fbsales.

It shouldn't take this sort of pressure on Sony to do the right thing, but their inaction, stonewalling and buck passing are demonstrating that the pressure needs turning up.

What's more, they are now being shown up by other manufacturers who have managed to resolve the problem in a month, whereas Sony are saying that they have no solution, and seem to be banking on the BBC backing down.

This encoding method is going to become more rather than less widespread. So rather than crossing fingures and wishing it would go away, Sony should follow their competitors lead.

Bear in mind that a lot of the competitors TVs work on Sony chipsets.........

Addojo36
Visitor

Hello All,

From my side, I am surprised that there has been no official response from Sony regarding this as I would have expected a solution by now.

This is not an official response, just my response as a Sony employee who cares.

1. Sony are not waiting for the BBC to fix this, they are currently working on the solution and still we have no official release date.

2. The meeting with the BBC is not to try to get them to change thier direction, but maybe it is to try to find a temporary solution for our customers until an official fix can be implemented.

During the evaluation (my understanding), it was found a few problems (one of which was first reported on this forum (picture format switching 1080i -> 1080p) which also is being evaluated.

If I hear anything else, then I will update.

Ad

stevehicks
Visitor

Thanks for this update Ad.

profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

I understand what the BBC are doing, but I'm still a little unsure about why they're doing it. Is this a short term engineering trial or a long term project? And are the BBC seriously considering switching between interlaced and progressive within a programme, regardless of whether the material was shot i or p, for all future HD transmissions? Help!

Message was edited by: Testcard

stevehicks
Visitor

I think there is a lot of confusion about what the BBC are doing; on some other forums there are some quite animated technical debates!

I don't understand much of this and of course there is no reason why I should need to. I just want my TV to work and receive BBC transmissions. I pay/have paid for both.

I'm cross with the BBC for effecting this change without trialling it. Some of the BBC comments (from senior people) are quite arrogant and dismissive. I wish Mark Thompson would pop round my house and experience BBC HD in all its stuttering glory!

I'm also cross with Sony for not sorting this out and (apart from the valued and valiant efforts of their staff posting to this forum ) for maintaining a glorious but very undignified silence on the issue.

I'm cross. Better go and lie down.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

@Addojo36,

Firstly, thanks for sticking your neck out to give us the information that you know. It is good that Sony have employees who care, even when the official spokespeople stay mute. The silence of the usual forum mods on this thread has been deafening.

As you probably identified the frustration felt here is mainly due to the lack of official comment on this serious problem, and fbsales experience just creates suspicions that things are being 'covered up', with admissions only coming when the issue is pushed.

Ideally it would be preferable if a fix could have been worked out quickly and implemented before this became widely known, but it's too long gone now. As I believe Sony has had recent experience, there comes a point when you are going to get criticised more for sitting on info and keeping your customers in the dark than admitting the problem, and being honest about the problems you face.

BRAVIA customers deserve a bit of respect I feel - we have in most cases spent GB£1000 to GB£2000 on a product that within a year of purchase has developed a serious issue. All we really want to know is that Sony are putting sufficient resources in to resolve this problem as quickly as possible, and will not stop until it is fixed.

Message was edited by: copicke45