Join now - be part of our community!

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

profile.country.en_GB.title
drchrissmith
New

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

Hi

Just an enquiry on what the status is of the recently introduced problem on the BBC HD channel on the EX503 (and probably all 2010 Sony TV's that can receive Freeview HD). The new BBC HD codec now allows for dynamic switching between 1080p and 1080i content which causes a short dropout in the audio stream on Sony TV's. Is this problem going to be addressed by Sony/BBC with an update as it makes BBC HD fairly unwatchable with the continuous audio dropouts.

Other than this issue very happy with the TV (aprt from not being able to slect HD channel override so BBC1/ITV etc could be set to use the HD version by default).

Thanks

Chris

176 REPLIES 176
profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

As a new owner of a 40EX503 for only a week, I'd noticed the dropout issue with BBC HD and discovered this forum after Googling the issue. Good to know it's not just me! However I'm confused by why switching between 1080p and 1080i is necessary within a programme. Perhaps someone could elaborate.

stevehicks
Visitor

I am not sure what the benefit is meant to be  - I just wish the problem would get sorted!

norbertmunchkin
New

The benefit is meant to be that it's more efficient for an encoder to compress material that was shot as progressive using a progressive encoding mode, as it then doesn't need to worry whether the lines in the two interlaced video fields might or might not come from the same point in time. If it is more efficient, it can either save bandwidth for other channels to use, or allow less severe compression, giving a nicer picture.

TV manufacturers probably never thought that encoders would switch between the two encoding modes dynamically during a programme, which is why these problems are happening - it sounds like Samsung TVs have had even worse problems (black flashes), and other set top boxes as well.

A commercial channel probably wouldn't try an experiment like this without testing it more with real-world TVs, because they'd just lose viewers and therefore money, whereas the beeb is more likely to say that they are following the specs, and make people wait for the manufacturers to deal with it.

anturnb27
New

And boy are we waiting......

stevehicks
Visitor

I'm very disappointed with Sony over this.

I know the BBC are in the mix as well, but you might have expected some update from Sony.

johns159
Visitor

I noticed this to be a really bad problem for the first time last night....

Only had the TV for a few weeks KDL40NX713 bought for the HD switchover (mainly for the F1 coverage)  a few weeks ago in  our area... found loads of forums today with people buying new boxes, aerials etc to try and fix this issue, should the BBC not put up an on screen note regarding this.... people are needlessly spending money etc to fix a problem they dont have..... or rather Sony/Samsung/Toshiba and the BBC have!

Now i find out the F1 coverage this weekend (Saturday) is on guess what........ BBC HD:smileycry:

I think we should complain to the more public side of the BBC rather than the technical R&D side and go to Watchdog programme????

johns159
Visitor

I have now raised this with the BBC Watchdog programme website... after finding 5 or 6 other forums with people complaing about this issue....

The more people complain then it might get fixed one way or another...

stevehicks
Visitor

Having complained to the BBC, the anodyne response was that this is manufacturers issue.

I have replied asking to know what assessment the BBC have done pre and post the encoding change, pointing out that all Sony TV's on the same firmware will be having this issue.

That must be a lot of TVs!

Hello Sony............are you listening? Any update for us?

ricahrdaskew
Visitor

Thanks for showing some interest but this thread has been running for a month with no sign of any concrete action - that is disappointing.

BBC have already noted that it's an issue for manufacturers so don't hold your breath at that meeting.

http://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/questions/help_receiving/bbchd_black_flashes

stevehicks
Visitor

Well, I am really puzzled now

This is a Sony response from early on in this discussion

Hello All,

Maybe you have already been updated by PM, however Sony are aware of this problem and will provide an update via software (hopefully it will not take to long).

In parallel design will check with broadcaster to see what further changes they are planning for other channels and will confirm software is compatible.

Sorry for the inconvenience this is causing, and we will keep you updated on any further information.

Now it seems nothing much is happening until meeting with the BBC next week!