Join now - be part of our community!

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

profile.country.en_GB.title
drchrissmith
New

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

Hi

Just an enquiry on what the status is of the recently introduced problem on the BBC HD channel on the EX503 (and probably all 2010 Sony TV's that can receive Freeview HD). The new BBC HD codec now allows for dynamic switching between 1080p and 1080i content which causes a short dropout in the audio stream on Sony TV's. Is this problem going to be addressed by Sony/BBC with an update as it makes BBC HD fairly unwatchable with the continuous audio dropouts.

Other than this issue very happy with the TV (aprt from not being able to slect HD channel override so BBC1/ITV etc could be set to use the HD version by default).

Thanks

Chris

176 REPLIES 176
daander75
New

No it wasn't the latest firmware that caused it. It has only been apparent since the BBC HD channel started switching between 1080i and 1080p dynamically.

xstasia2008
Visitor

New poster to this problem thread............

I have a 3 month old Sony KDL-55EX713,where I too have this (audio) frustration that certainly wasnt there when I bought the set this year.

My question : I do not have the facility to update automatically online as I only have a fixed line/modem broadband connection.

How then do I obtain any up-to-date Firmware update when Sony's own Support>Firmware page is out-of-date,showing (for all KDL models),an update from December 2010 which I already have ..."2010_0499_eul_zip".

Thanks

daander75
New

xstasia2008
Visitor

Thanks daander...now up to firmware dated 18/04/11.

Will report back...............

(System Update IS on,but received nothing...this was done by usb)

daander75
New

Fine, perhaps you just missed the OTA update when it was transmitted. Anyway glad you got the USB update OK.  It didn't fix the audio dropout problem on BBC HD though.

Guess we have to wait for another update.

xstasia2008
Visitor

Hi,yes,you are correct,it is still dropping out....all the more annoying because all tv sound is via ARC into my Yamaha 767 Amp and surround setup,and the amp display momentarily goes to "decoder off" for a split second before resuming at every switch-point (picture seemingly unaffected).

This is a joke...(or would be if it were funny).

I'm bloody glad that BBC1HD isnt the same, as the Wedding broadcast today would have been ruined.

Kevin

stevehicks
Visitor

Any Sony staffers reading? Any news on a solution to this?

Pogle.S
Visitor

Same here. System Update on, received nothing, did it via usb. As for the BBC codec, I don't particularly feel this is a Sony problem as BBC 1 HD (etc) is fine, also when seeking answers - and finding this forum - I saw owners of at least one other brand having problems with BBC HD. So, if this isn't fixed - and smartish - I'll call for a proportionate refund of the license fee (I have complained to the BBC btw). I expect it could get on the front page if worded properly.

stevehicks
Visitor

Well I think we all know what the answer will be, but if it gets JL on the case perhaps we might see more action.

tallkeith
Visitor

This problem seems to make all Sony freeview TVs 'not fit for purpose'. You cant watch HD TV without audio dropout.

I bought mine in the local Sony store three months ago - I'll phone them tomorrow and tell them its coming back.

It reminds me of the problem I had with my old Grundig freeview box when the NAT table was increased a year or so ago. Eventually they admitted there was a problem and sent an firmware upgrade.

Why have Sony not sorted it out as a priority?