Join now - be part of our community!

should email synch over wifi?

SOLVED
Not applicable

should email synch over wifi?

I live in an area with very poor coverage, have had the Arc just overa week.   It is always connected over my wifi and all the apps and web browser etc are fast and reliable.  However the email synch is very slow and unreliable.  Looking at my phone account there are loads of GPRS entries when I know the phone was at home, not being used for calls, and was connected ok over wifi.

So I am thinking it is using GPRS to synch emails.

Is this normal?  I'm new to this stuff but guessed it would use wifi the same as any other web app.  Have searched all over the phone settings but find no clues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Zann_H
Enthusiast

The first time you sync, yes, It is encourage to do so since it will be downloading alot of stuff. However, there's no need to after that. And if your data plan is very limited, then you should consider using wi-fi only. But if you have unlimited ot a few GB of data transfer per month, it won't be an issue.

In your case, if its too slow using GPRS, just disable 3G and enable wifi. This will force your sync to use wi-fi instead.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Zann_H
Enthusiast

The first time you sync, yes, It is encourage to do so since it will be downloading alot of stuff. However, there's no need to after that. And if your data plan is very limited, then you should consider using wi-fi only. But if you have unlimited ot a few GB of data transfer per month, it won't be an issue.

In your case, if its too slow using GPRS, just disable 3G and enable wifi. This will force your sync to use wi-fi instead.

Not applicable

Thank you, that works.  I ran a test today with "data traffic disabled" and the emails were sent & received immediately via the wifi connection. Why didnt I think of that.  Lots to learn....