Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDR-HXD560 DVD.

profile.country.en_GB.title
DREWLETT
Visitor

Sony RDR-HXD560 DVD.

The DVD keeps coming on with welcome then it goes off.  It will not start .  The HDD and DVD light will not come on either.  I have tried turning it off at the mains, then back on, still no joy has anyone got an idea?

13 REPLIES 13
geoffsmethurst
Visitor

Anybody have any solutions to this heap of junk.

Are there any diagnostics that can be done

It is the third time this welcome fault has occurred to me.

The first time was repaired under warranty.

The second time I paid about £80 to have some dry joints repaired.

Now it has  happened again I am very tempted to "store" the unit in the bin.

I used to buy Sony because of their good reputation

I will NOT be buying another Sony piece of equipment

grizzlywizzle
Visitor

This sounds like a hardware crash due to a faulty hard drive.

did you turn it off wile the drive was writing.

i would remove the hard drive to see if it boots up if it was mine.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you want to have a detailed diagnostic you should enter the service mode by using a specific remote (or a programmable one like the Logitech Harmony i'm using) and follow the attached instructions.

The attached manual is for the HXDx70 series recorder

profile.country.GB.title
Mightfly
Explorer

I am still using this model and it serves my needs for a limited TV catch-up, so have no wish to replace it.  However, since last year it too often turns off shortly after displaying WELCOME.

To cut a long story short, I have cleared the error log and carried out a factory reset etc. as recommended by others without much effect.  The Freeview issue described earlier may or may not be a red herring; it is possible it may be linked because of the auto-start timer etc., but without detailed inspection of both the software and hardware in this area, it's difficult to be sure.

The problem appears to be exactly as described in the Sony Technical Bulletin 09HV002 (22.01.09).  This refers to Technical Bulletin 06HV027, but I have so far been unable to track down a copy - presumably it relates to SATA cable failures?

It would be good to see a copy of the latter, however much of the evidence points to a faulty step-down regulator (MP2105DJ-LF-Z).  I don't easily have access to a scope to test the oscillator waveform as described, but am considering replacing the little SMD regulator (IC601) on spec based on my hunch!  (On the occasions it does start up normally, there are no indications of HDD (Maxtor 6L080M0) errors and the disc sounds much as one might expect when accessed).  Unfortunately, the chip is on the underside of board RD-060 and the one on top needs to be removed first to obtain access; not particularly difficult except that that the solid wire inter-board connectors have a firm grip and appear easy to damage!

Lastly, after clearing the error history, a new error appears:

03 01 0000034A 0004 <date/time>

Is anyone able to guide me as to how to decode this?

Thank you.