Join now - be part of our community!

Buffering problem with Sony BDP-S780 Bluray player

profile.country.en_GB.title
mizpol
Visitor

Buffering problem with Sony BDP-S780 Bluray player

Everytime I stream a film from lovefilm.com via this player it will ground to a halt after an hour or so.. it will then look as if it is buffering and shows a speed of just 0.2mg.. after 10 seconds or so it is fine and starts up again...

My problem is this...

My broadband speed is 50MB... a ping and speedtest confirms I am getting 50.5 MB to my PC

The blu ray player shows 15-20 MB via wifi and 20-25 MB via ethernet (Using TP-Link)

Films watched on the PC are perfect even when I am working with other things...

My software IS the most uptodate.. I even checked to see if a disc created one was different to the ethernet available one

Reading other threads on the internet I know it is definatly a software issue with the sony players..

I wish to get lovefilm to a tv upstairs and I was going to purchase another (cheaper) Sony Bluray player for the bedroom as a nice "upgrade" that would acheive this..

My question is... Am I going to get the same story.. Is it just this player, or all sonys??

Will appreciate any help or advice...

Message was edited by: mizpol

Message was edited by: mizpol

9 REPLIES 9
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Hmm, bit early to jump straight to it being a software problem - I have a 480 at home and Virgin Media and never had an issue with Lovefilm. If it was a software issue - everyone would suffer from it and I don't think thats the case.

Virgin Media is known to have some issues with some streams, so might be worth checking this thread here and see if changing the settings resolves it?

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/645991#645991

Does it happen when you are connected both wirelessly and via Ethernet/Homeplug?

Thanks

mizpol
Visitor

Hey thanks so much for helping... I really appreciate that..

I think I changed my LAN settings to the proxy server now.. I will give that a go..

And yes the buffering happens on both wireless and Homeplug.

Since the I noticed the problem I have upgraded my modem, broadband speed and also purchased the homeplugs thinking it was a speed/buffering issue.. But the fact that it plays at 20MB then just drops to zero is wierd.. The problem has remained the same no matter what I tried..

mizpol
Visitor

Using the proxy server takes the speedtest from 50.MB every time down to 25-35MB .. So I dont think it is the connection problem.. Unless I am missunderstanding something?

Catmambo
Contributor

Sure, but does it solve the problem?  25mb is enough to stream several 3D streams simultaneously so more than enought still for a single SD Lovefilm stream.

mizpol
Visitor

I shall test it tonight... I am using port 3128 rather than 8080 as that seems to lose much less speed..  Got a speed test to 45MB... So if this works it will be a fantastic compromise...

I will get back to you tonight.. And thanks again for your help. This is so much appreciated.

mizpol
Visitor

First film tonight watch without ANY issues!!

Will test more.. But this is looking great..

Thanks again... using port 3128 and that seems fine

mizpol
Visitor

2nd film.. Major problems...

Buffering after a few minutes and again after 10... Really hung...

internet settings back to square one so I get the full speed...

am going to try another sony player at the weekend... Different model at my expense.. I am determined to get to the bottom of this..

Catmambo
Contributor

Maybe try the same player on a different Internet connection. Still need to isolate the issue..

Thanks

Bravia55HX

whatever happened to the good old do a "factory re set and firmware update"? Sony's most popular answer to all problems!:smileywink: