Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S370 iPlayer video playback not smooth

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
bobthedino
Visitor

BDP-S370 iPlayer video playback not smooth

I've noticed that when using my BDP-S370 to watch iPlayer programmes, video motion is often not smooth. It is particularly noticeable with any horizontal camera movement, and with vertically-scrolling end credits of programmes which always judder badly. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about playback stopping due to buffering, this juddering happens whilst programmes are otherwise playing back normally.

I have a vague feeling that it is worse with longer programmes - e.g. I remember trying to watch "There Will Be Blood", a 2.5hr film, and it was pretty much unwatchable from the start due to this juddering). Shorter programmes, e.g. 30 or 60 mins don't seem to suffer as badly, but this could just be my imagination, or that I've got used to it!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen this problem with iPlayer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bobthedino
Visitor

Well I've just come across something that does improve the smoothness of iPlayer (and other internet video) playback, which is to turn on "game mode" on my TV (a Sony KDL-32D3000). You can immediately notice that vertically scrolling end credits of programmes are much smoother, for example.

Presumably the 100Hz motion enhancement feature was interfering with iPlayer's playback, although turning this off manually (i.e. setting "motion enhancer" to off) didn't help - obviously "game mode" is doing more than this, but the manual doesn't really explain what!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Catmambo
Contributor

Haven't seen it on mine - have you tried it on a different TV ad maybe a different HDMI cable? Is it apparent when watching other services like Five or Youtube?

Thanks

bobthedino
Visitor

Well I've just come across something that does improve the smoothness of iPlayer (and other internet video) playback, which is to turn on "game mode" on my TV (a Sony KDL-32D3000). You can immediately notice that vertically scrolling end credits of programmes are much smoother, for example.

Presumably the 100Hz motion enhancement feature was interfering with iPlayer's playback, although turning this off manually (i.e. setting "motion enhancer" to off) didn't help - obviously "game mode" is doing more than this, but the manual doesn't really explain what!