Join now - be part of our community!

RX100 dark LCD screen image - live view boost?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Diverjustin
Visitor

RX100 dark LCD screen image - live view boost?

I'm using my RX100 solely for underwater photography. I use it in manual, so I can control the shutter speed and aperture based on the ambient light/strobe mix I want for each shot. The problem comes when I want to shoot at say 1/200th at F8 but the ambient light is only 1/30th at F1.8 (I dive in the UK not the sunny tropics!). By setting 1/200th and F8 on the camera the LCD screen is showing a very dark if not totally black image as it's indicating underexposure dark that I can't compose the shot. I shoot with the flash as 'fill flash' (so it triggers the strobe via fiber optic cable) but even that doesn't lighten the LCD screen image enough. Some cameras have a 'live view boost' option (e.g. Olympus OMD etc.) which shows the LCD screen image regardless of the shutter/F stop chosen. Any chance that that can be part of a firmware fix for the RX100? As the image brightens momentarily during focusing it seems like it could be acheivable. I didn't realise this was an issue prior to purchasing the camera and underwater housing but it's getting to be a deal-breaker for being able to use it : o( which is a great shame as the image quality is superb!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

if the build in flash of the DSC-RX100 is popped up (fill flash mode) the Live image on the LCD screen will always show a bright image, independent from the exposure settings in M-mode (exposure preview).

So the DSC-RX100 does not have a dedicated settings like many other SLT/NEX cameras for example which allow you to disable the exposure preview display in M-mode (called Live view settings effect OFF).

If the LCD still is not bright enough for your specific application you can try out the LCD brightness setting in the setup menu which is called "Sunny Weather" which will significantly boost brightness of the screen for use in bright sunlight - or underwater...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
cmosse
Contributor

if the build in flash of the DSC-RX100 is popped up (fill flash mode) the Live image on the LCD screen will always show a bright image, independent from the exposure settings in M-mode (exposure preview).

So the DSC-RX100 does not have a dedicated settings like many other SLT/NEX cameras for example which allow you to disable the exposure preview display in M-mode (called Live view settings effect OFF).

If the LCD still is not bright enough for your specific application you can try out the LCD brightness setting in the setup menu which is called "Sunny Weather" which will significantly boost brightness of the screen for use in bright sunlight - or underwater...

Diverjustin
Visitor

Many thanks for your response 'cmosse'.

I'm already doing all you suggest but the LCD screen image is still very dark/virtually black in some circumstances. It's not correct that "the LCD screen will always show a bright image, independent from the the exposure settings in M-mode" - as it is dependant on how bright the scene is that you are trying to photograph. Yes in dull lighting the image will be bright and easily viewed but in very low lighting (as we experience underwater in the UK) the image is still too dark to see properly, so composing and focusing are impossible.

The problem is that the lens aperture closes down in M-mode when you select the aperture, and it stays closed down until you press the shutter button to focus - at which point the aperture opens to allow the camera to focus (hence why the LCD screen brightens during focusing). After focusing it closes again and the LCD screen goes dark again

A firmware fix is the only thing that can sort this issue out. Otherwise it seriously looks like I'll be selling my RX100 and moving over to Olympus : (

cmosse
Contributor

you are absolutely right. The LCD image wil be bright but only if there is enough light. It will however not simulate the effect of Aperture and Shutter speed setting on the exposure when the flash is enabled.

When choosing a small aperture, less light will reach the sensor and a bright live image will not be available anymore in very low light. All you could do is to use a wider aperture.

Apparently there is no mode that the aperture stays open all the time and only closes just before exposure.

I would not expect a firmware to introduce a different mode to be on the top priority list from Sony...

skybump
New

Hello. I experienced this over the weekend - I messed up a studio shoot using offboard flash, because just after focussing the camera gave an exposure preview at f8@125, which was a black screen.

This exposure preview can be switched off by setting SETUP/LIVE VIEW DISPLAY/SETTING EFFECT to "OFF"

this gives a consistently bright viewfinder display whatever your exposure

This is on a NEX-6. I hope your camera has the same.

skybump
New

oh you already mentioned this, sorry. can't delete my post. meant well

GD3771730
New

This trick works well also on RX10.

It is very useful with any low light condition in manual mode.

Thank you.