Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting DSC-HX9 to Apple Mac

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
simonp52
Visitor

Connecting DSC-HX9 to Apple Mac

Hello,

I would be grateful for some help here. I have a Sony digital camera as above and recently bought an Apple computer for the first time.

Unfortunately a little while ago I also mislaid the connection between the camera & computer that came with the camera & had to buy a replacement.

I find now that although I can connect the camera without problem to the old laptop I can only connect intermittently to the Apple machine.

When I connect I get a flashing message on the camera "USB mode, connecting to mass storage". Sometimes Iphoto opens eventually on the computer with device marked as "no name" with the message "loading" and eventually the pictures appear on the screen & I can select which to import. Some of those pictures do get transferred satisfactorily but for others I will get message that they are in wrong format so not imported.

More commonly though, nothing happens and the camera just shows "USB mode, connecting to mass storage" and the camera never appears in IPhoto & I can't see the photos on the camera on the computer.

As this is the first time I've attempted this I'm not sure if the problem is the connection I'm using or whether I neeed to change perhaps some settings on the camera or put some software on the computer.

Is someone able to suggest something please. I could I guess just transfer pictures by memory stick from laptop to Apple but this seems more long winded a process than should be necessary.

Many thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello simonp52 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I am not a Mac user myself inspite of many recommendations. You may find it easier to purchase a simple USB memory card reader that is Mac compatible and then taking the memory card out of the camera and using the reader. This should appear as an external disk drive and the photos and videos will be within it. There may be a better, more technical answer from a fellow Mac user but this is the method that I usually recommend.

FYI, the following reader should be sufficient and will read a wide range of cards:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSecure-Speed-Reader-Digital-Memory/dp/B003CKC8W8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=134...

Bear in mind that other readers are available :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello simonp52 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I am not a Mac user myself inspite of many recommendations. You may find it easier to purchase a simple USB memory card reader that is Mac compatible and then taking the memory card out of the camera and using the reader. This should appear as an external disk drive and the photos and videos will be within it. There may be a better, more technical answer from a fellow Mac user but this is the method that I usually recommend.

FYI, the following reader should be sufficient and will read a wide range of cards:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSecure-Speed-Reader-Digital-Memory/dp/B003CKC8W8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=134...

Bear in mind that other readers are available :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Simon

simonp52
Visitor

Thank you, excellent & simple solution. I've now bought a reader & it works perfectly!

Kind regards,

Simon

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Glad you have got it all working using this method!

Simon