Join now - be part of our community!

X Box One X - HDR not available for gaming

profile.country.GB.title
TM_Bullitt
Explorer

X Box One X - HDR not available for gaming

Hi,

I have a Sony KD-55XE8596 4K HDR TV, which, according to the specification supports 4K and HDR up to 60 Hz.  However my X Box One X is telling me that my TV is not capable of HDR for gaming - screenshot below.

I'm using the cable that Microsoft supplied with the X Box, and have made sure that the display is being auto detected.  The boxes for  Allow 50 Hz, Allow 24 Hz, Allow HDR, Allow 4K and Allow YCC 4:2:2 are all ticked, and on the TV, the enhanced format HDMI connection is enabled.

Is there something I'm missing here, or does this TV really not support this?  If so, I'm not happy as I bought it mainly for gaming.  If anyone from Sony could get back to me I'd really appreciate it, or if anyone in the community has a fix, please let me know.

IMG_3667.JPG

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
TM_Bullitt
Explorer

@NRG117I agree with you totally, it seems completely counter intuitive, and may not be the solution.  The only reason I mentioned it, is that it has a dramatic influence on contrast.  Mine is set to Auto now, and I haven't checked to see what this is defaulting to.  I'll have a look later and let you know.

4K & HDR are relatively new technologies (at least to me), and the number of settings available to optimise the viewing experience has been growing, almost exponentially, over the last few years.  It would help if the manufacturers of the equipment would publish more detailed information about what each of these setting do, and what effect we would expect to see; this means you Sony, if you're paying attention.  Instead, we have to trawl the internet hunting for the proverbial needle in the haystack that will fix our particular problem.

profile.country.GB.title
TM_Bullitt
Explorer

I've checked the setting and, the TV is choosing the Limited HDMI range when set to Auto.  As I said, I'm not an expert on this technology, but I'm not going to argue with the TV - and the picture looks great.

@TM_Bullitt wrote:

@NRG117I agree with you totally, it seems completely counter intuitive, and may not be the solution.  The only reason I mentioned it, is that it has a dramatic influence on contrast.  Mine is set to Auto now, and I haven't checked to see what this is defaulting to.  I'll have a look later and let you know.

4K & HDR are relatively new technologies (at least to me), and the number of settings available to optimise the viewing experience has been growing, almost exponentially, over the last few years.  It would help if the manufacturers of the equipment would publish more detailed information about what each of these setting do, and what effect we would expect to see; this means you Sony, if you're paying attention.  Instead, we have to trawl the internet hunting for the proverbial needle in the haystack that will fix our particular problem.

profile.country.GB.title
MoJo117
New

I was stuck on this for AGES. Waited months for my Xbox Series X just to get stuck on this! SORTED, on the AV settings on the Sony TV change both HDMI port settings to 'ENHANCED'.

That's it! Happy days! 👍👊