Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A80j, picture off centre / pixel shift or issue?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
KevRusski
Explorer

Sony A80j, picture off centre / pixel shift or issue?

Hi,

I have the new a80j 55" set and I have something strange going on I wondered if anyone can help with.

When watching tv via the aerial the picture seems to be ever so slightly off centre or gets cropped.

What happens is I will either get a slight additional black border on the left hand side of the screen, the right hand side of the screen or the bottom.  It can be bottom and left, or bottom and right at the same time.  Its hardly noticeable on the bottom and is no more than a few mm but maybe that's because the bottom tv border is naturally deeper. When its on the sides from 6ft away you can notice it though as you can see that one black border is wider than the other.  Its basically the same as black bars you get in movies top and bottom, but at the sides, its width may vary, anything up to as wide as the tvs black frame, seeing as the actual tv border/frame is about 8mm, it is noticeable that one side ends up wider than the other.

I've tried temporarily disabling pixel shift and it doesn't disappear so it cant be that?

I can get the picture to re-set full screen if I flick to a hdmi input or tv based app then back. However, its not long before it returns to doing it.

I've tried some of the display settings and they are either greyed out or they only change the picture within the constraints of the borders I'm talking about. Those settings don't get it to utilise the full screen.

Its not a major issue but I find it annoying. Also because when it happens I find that the side of the screen it happens at, it can intermittently start having an effect on the picture, like it gets additional noise in some areas or distorts the picture, in a minor way, like a flicking or dragging of the picture at the edge.

Its not a tv destroying issue, but if this a fault, I would like to know about it....

Can anyone help.

Are there any Sony technicians in here, should I raise this with Sony etc...

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @KevRusski,

yes, it is pixel shift.

- Nic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
KevRusski
Explorer

IMG_20211003_165434312.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
KevRusski
Explorer

https://youtube.com/shorts/cgKSLuE2QIE?feature=share

This effect happens on the side where the border shows up.

profile.country.GB.title
KevRusski
Explorer

Pixel shift?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @KevRusski,

yes, it is pixel shift.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
KevRusski