Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot connect to my HTS properly

profile.country.IE.title
dublinrover
Explorer

Cannot connect to my HTS properly

I have an XR50x90JU from Sony which I have connected to my Panasonic Home Theatre System SA-BTT370.

My problem is that I am not able to use this system anymore because the Optical-In or ARC does turn on the

AUDIO-SYSTEM but the audio is silent, no sound if I connect another device like the Sat receiver or Cable receiver.

If I use the Panasonic SA-BTT370 which is also a Bluray DVD player it turns on the AUDIO-SYSTEM and delivers the sound through the SA-BTT370.

I have tried everything, it does not work. My old Sony was able to work with this device.

Panasonic is using VIERA to link the systems, and I am quite sure that the settings are correct for both devices.

Has anybody any idea how to fix this?

Thanks

Joachim

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@dublinrover 

When you play a BluRay on the Panny, do you see the video on the TV?

Can you check that the TV is not trying to send a sound format, e.g. Dolby Digital+, that the Panny cannot handle?

Can you set the TV to only output ARC, not eARC?

And/or, if not, have you connected the two units with a full HDMI cable including Ethernet?

As I have a theory that if you use an HDMI cable without an Ethernet strand, the TV may not be able to negotiate down to ARC correctly, and will try to use eARC, which will founder.

(Though anyone who really knows is welcome to tell me otherwise).

I take it you know that largely,  BRAVIASYNC = VIERA = CEC?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IE.title
dublinrover
Explorer

Yes, I see the video when playing the Blueray DVD on the Panasonic.

I am not sure if my HDMI cable has an Ethernet strand. I will check this out.

As far as I can see I cannot choose eARC or ARC on my XR-50x90JU. I have this TV for only 4 days so far so maybe there is a way to disable eARC.

Yes, I know about the VIERA link, but maybe it is too old (on this Panasonic it is Version: HDAVI Control 5) but I cannot judge this.

I will check the HDMI cable.

Thanks, royabrown2 in the meantime.

profile.country.IE.title
dublinrover
Explorer

Hi @royabrown2 

I bought a High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet (4K Ultra HD) and used this to connect the Panasonic with my X90J. I also used the same quality cable for all the other units.

Unfortunately no JOY!!

It switches to AUDIO-SYSTEM but does not produce sound. 

This is the Setup with an optical cable on the Panny! 

panny.jpg

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi dublinrover, are you using an optical with the HDMI connected to ARC? If  yes, please remove the optical and change the audio out to PCM.

profile.country.IE.title
dublinrover
Explorer

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Did you try the system's support?

profile.country.IE.title
dublinrover
Explorer

I suppose I will do this now. I have thought the community has a straightforward answer but it looks like this is more complicated.

I actually did all the System Diagnostic Tests, but they all tell me that everything is OK.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@dublinrover 

What does the TV Audio Input on that Settings Menu do? Does it change, or do you have to change it, if you are trying to use ARC over HDMI to get audio from the TV?

And what does the HDMI Audio Output setting do?

Can you try setting EXT IN to ARC, to get audio from the TV over the HDMI cable?

The manual for your unit:-

https://ftp.panasonic.com/hometheater/om/sc-btt770_en_om.pdf

has this in Troubleshooting:-

No sound from the TV.
≥ Press [EXT-IN] to select the corresponding source. (Page 22)

≥ When connecting the unit to a TV using an HDMI cable, check whether the HDMI terminal on the TV is labeled “HDMI (ARC)”.
If not labeled in this way, connect using the HDMI cable in combination with an optical digital audio cable.(pages 14, 15)
≥ If there is no sound from the equipment connected to this unit’s DIGITAL AUDIO IN terminal, please make sure that the optical audio output of the equipment is set to PCM.

My money, at this stage, is on the setting of EXT-IN, which you can apparently do from the remote.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IE.title
dublinrover
Explorer

@royabrown2 

Sorry, I was away for a couple of days.

Thanks for going through the trouble to provide the Panny Manual. As you can imagine I have this and know all the ways to connect to the SA-BTT370. It is strange the manual is saying SC-BTT370.

SA-BTT370.jpg

I have tried all combinations and of course with the Digital In D-IN and with HDMI the ARC input.

No joy.

I have contacted now Sony and I will post the outcome of this as soon as I have the result.

Thanks