Join now - be part of our community!

Can somebody please tell me the difference between an App and an App?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Can somebody please tell me the difference between an App and an App?

What's an App on this Sony YouView TV?

Occasionally, I get a System update, but the option below it for App update has always told me, excitedly, 'Your applications are up to date!' every time, right since day 1.

But if I fondly imagined the Apps must have been auto-updating, today I got a rude shock 😞

Going for the first time onto Google Play, to idly look for anything interesting I might want, and after only three tries at putting my exact Username and Password in (and one of bashing off to 'Forgot Password' on Google, which asked me the last one I remembered, and then told me that was my current one anyway) I finally got onto it,

And on choosing 'My Apps', it started downloading 13 apps, or updates to them, including such minor apps as Netflix, YouTube, and the Android TV Launcher itself.

What gives here?

Roy, feeling App-rehensive

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi royabrown

I noticed that too yesterday and checked latest version here:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-cast-receiver/google-cast-receiver-1-19-63098-release...

Says June 9 for our version. June 13 is shown at Google Play with no version. Description on TV shows April 22.

It seems that they forgot to change the date although previous one was March 25 and not April 22.

Another possibility is code written at April 22 but released now after testing.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@MiCal1967

I think you are right there - date written, not date released. So two months of testing and other admin before fixes see the light of day, and still some more admin between them being on Google Play, and available on the actual TV.

Lets see if the June 13 one pops up soon.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@royabrown

Hi

Did you have a Home Theater Control app Update this afternoon shown in Google Play?

I just had a "channel No picture" for all Digital and Satellite channels that forced me to power OFF TV(remove from mains for 15secs).

After reboot TV was OK and Discover had re-enabled all Categories by itself  !!!

Anyone knows what is this app doing?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@MiCal1967 wrote:

@royabrown

Hi

Did you have a Home Theater Control app Update this afternoon shown in Google Play?

I just had a "channel No picture" for all Digital and Satellite channels that forced me to power OFF TV(remove from mains for 15secs).

After reboot TV was OK and Discover had re-enabled all Categories by itself  !!!

Anyone knows what is this app doing?

Sorry, I am away from the Sony TV now until November. All is well with the three Samsungs we have here in Spain 🙂