Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV - Pop-up Advertisements/Spam

Anonymous
Not applicable

Android TV - Pop-up Advertisements/Spam

Hi guys

I am currently watching the Olympics on FreeView and have recieved the following pop-up on screen:

DSC_0031.JPG

This is not the first time this has occured, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I am also wondering on your view points on how this could occur?

Cheers

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Hypothesis:-

Your Android 'Smart TV' device is actually a computer that shows TV pictures.

Computers get viruses.

You've been pwned 😞

Anybody make an AV that can be run on these sets?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

Adguard works as an add blocker. I doesn't need root as most adblockers do but creates a sort of VPN so it can filter traffic. I use it and it is worth paying for. You'll probably need to sideload it.

I would think that most anti virus software would work. Lookout maybe?  But I really think you probably have an app that's being a bit intrusive and could try removing the last installed apps one at a time until it stops.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@Anonymous

Pop-ups should be blocked by SONY embedded software!!! This is not a tablet or a smartphone. I start to believe that SONY has NOTHING to do with the software embedded in our sets.

I have e-mailed Google Programmers about issues but got NO answer. The Silence of the Programmers:smileyconfused:

There is surely something going wrong with their relations.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

Have to agree with @MiCal1967 on this one, even though the lines between a TV and computer are blurred - i still think of a TV being a visual display unit.  When im watching, i dont want popups.

For info - i have no sideloaded apps.  Previous sideloaded apps was wiped in a factory reset s couple of months back.  Current loaded apps are the usual Kodi, EZ file explorer, Vevo.

For MiCal1967 - are you saying you've had this too?

Cheers

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi Quinnicus

I don't have this kind of pop-up but there are occasionaly some silly annoying pop-up errors. BLE bla bla bla, Location, Social Viewing ....

Maybe yours is FreeView related. But how? Something was installed without your permission and asks for money:smileylaugh: or :angry: ?

chrgray

Isn't Real Time Observer a feature in ES File Explorer?  Maybe there's a setting in ES File Explorer to turn off this type of popup.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Yes this seems to be an ES File explorer pop-up. People seem to have been annoyed with this kind of behaviour. Must not be their idea, but Cheetah mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrgray - Thanks for the hint.

Im looking for the setting now.  Happened again :angry:

DSC_0032.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

And there it is folks

_20160822_175627.JPG

But how to disable.... Nothing in the settings of the app that I can see.  So switching off Notifications on the App itself.  Fingers crossed.

DSC_0034.JPG