Join now - be part of our community!

Nex5N - White screen 'Unable to use memory card' on startup

profile.country.en_GB.title
soulriot
Visitor

Nex5N - White screen 'Unable to use memory card' on startup

Hi.

I have a Nex-5N. When I turn it on I get a white screen with black text saying 'Unable to use memory card. Format?'. I am presented with two options - an 'OK' and an 'X'. Neither of these produce any result, and I am stuck on this screen (eg. I cannot progress beyond this screen and use any of the camera's functionality).

(I have attached a jpg of this)

I have tried using different SD cards, no SD card, tried connecting it to the computer, and tried the reset (the holding the shutter down technique detailed on the internet). I get this same issue no matter what combination of these elements I try.

I have found no reference to this problem on the internet. Does anybody know about this? Has anyone had luck solving a similar problem?

It would be great to get this solved as I am a sound artist who is leaving to do a project in Georgia (the country) on Sunday. As part of my work I sometimes need to use video and some photographs (eg. my needs aren't fully professional), and this is one such occasion. Sadly, I have no money to buy an interim camera so I am really in a bad position right now. I've really not used this camera much since it was purchased 8 months ago so I'm really annoyed about this.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this problem?

UPDATE: I ran the firmware updater to see if it could see the camera, and it cannot.

Message was edited by: soulriot

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi soulriot, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

This sort of error is often a problem with the card, although it's possible there is some kind of contamination of the internal contacts.

The following page describes the recommended troubleshooting procedure: http://www.sony-asia.com/support/faq/464455/product/nex-5ny

If you have access to a new, genuine branded card, it would rule out corruption due to fake or sub-standard media.

Cheers

Mick

soulriot
Visitor

Thanks for the instructions, but I have tried all the permutations of resets that I have beenable to find online, including this one.

As I've said, I tried various permutations of cards. All good quality cards (3x SanDisk Class 10; 1x SanDisk Class 6; A brand new Samsung class 10; plus the card which came with the Nex). I also reformatted the cards with the SD Formatter software - the official formatting software of the SD Association.

The thing which I find very strange is that if I were to usually power on the camera without an SD card, I would still have access to the basic features and funtionality of the camera, be able browse through menus etc, albeit with a flashing warning on the top left of my screen informing me of a lack of SD card, plus the inability to record media.

However, with this all I get is the white screen which I uploaded in the previous post. When I click either of the options nothing happens - the camera is stuck on this white screen regardless of what happens. The fact the firmware updater cannot even recognise that the camera has been connected to my computer suggests to me that something more serious is wrong.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello soulriot :slight_smile:

If you have tried the procedure given by Mick2011 and the camera is still not functioning correctly, it is possible that there is an internal fault within the camera. As you have said that you have only had the camera for 8 months, this is something that may be covered by the manufacturer's warranty - although this may not be of much use to you if you are about to leave for a trip.

To find out more about a possible repair, you need to contact Sony Customer Services. If the camera was purchased in the UK, the contact details are on the following page:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/dime

Thanks,

Simon