Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Tablet Z screen orientation

SOLVED
Igorest
Visitor

Xperia Tablet Z screen orientation

After upgrading to Lollipop can't fix vertical screen orientation. When I fix the screen, it's always making horizontal orientation.

16 REPLIES 16
Experia_Tablet_
Visitor

Didn't try that yet. Any recommendations? 

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

Nothing that I can think of, but I'll let you know if I find something 

Experia_Tablet_
Visitor

Just wanted to update that I finally found something that really works:

http://coimobile.com/ultimate-rotation-control/

But.. It's a trial version then it costs around 2$

Another thing is that it needs high permissions. 

At least I can use my device again... 

firehand10k
Visitor

There is an app in the play store simple called Rotation Control  made by CrapeMyrtle. It is free and even better requires NO permissions to install. It is working good for me.

Also I asked the live chat support about the problem and they told me the developer (being Google) dropped the function but its still in all my other lollipop equiped devices.

drlmiles1
Contributor

There is no need for any third party app. Drag down the quicksettings menu. Is the orientation setting showing "landscape"? Assuming it is, click it to turn on "autorotate". Turn the tablet into Portrait orientation (i.e. the power button is at the top of the screen) 

Now click the orientation setting again, changing it from "autorotate" to "portrait". Your XZ tablet will now stay in Portrait orientation. 

I only found this great new feature out by accident

drlmiles1
Contributor

@drlmiles wrote:

There is no need for any third party app. Drag down the quicksettings menu. Is the orientation setting showing "landscape"? Assuming it is, click it to turn on "autorotate". Turn the tablet into Portrait orientation (i.e. the power button is at the top of the screen) 

Now click the orientation setting again, changing it from "autorotate" to "portrait". Your XZ tablet will now stay in Portrait orientation. 

I only found this great new feature out by accident

Sorry, have to post an addendum to my previous message, contradicting myself. If you do what I said above, the icon will change to "portrait" for a second, then the orientation and icon will change to landscape. The exception to this is if you have an app open that locks orientation in Portrait mode, such as Kindle. The orientation icon in quicksettings will then stay as "portrait".  However, as soon as you leave that app, it changes back to the "landscape" setting. Very disappointing, Sony, I don't think it would have taken much to sort this out - in fact, it looks like someone has done half the work to enable this functionality, then forgotten to finish it,  and testing obviously failed to show this bug. 

bananarama
Visitor

All the posts I see on this suggest 3rd party apps as a solution.  I do not want to use a 3rd party app. 

Why has the fuctionality to lock the screen in a certain orientation been removed?  The options (Settings->Display->When the device is rotated->Stay in current orientation) suggest that the ability to lock to a given orientation (portrait, "upside-down" landscape etc) should be possible, but when this option is selected, it simply forces the screen back into the standard landscape orientation.

Why is this feature broken and will it be fixed?