Join now - be part of our community!

Stylus suggestions?

SOLVED
Danp
Visitor

Stylus suggestions?

Hi

I've had my Z4 tablet for a month or so now and really like it - great bit of kit.

Just wondering if there are any creatives out there who can reccomend a good stylus? I'm not really sure how tablets work with them. I have a Samsung Note 3 and really like the way the S-Pen works with Autodesk Sketchbook Pro - is it just a case of buying a bog standard stylus and get the same sort of functionality or are there more advanced options to go for?

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LOP75
Visitor

The Samsung Notes use a stylus developed specifically for the Samsung's digitizer provided by Wacom.

Sony has no such digitizer, and you will find no pen with the same level of functionality / precision.

You can still find various options (as generic capacitative styluses) but none will offer the same thing, because it really is hardware-dependent / related.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LOP75
Visitor

The Samsung Notes use a stylus developed specifically for the Samsung's digitizer provided by Wacom.

Sony has no such digitizer, and you will find no pen with the same level of functionality / precision.

You can still find various options (as generic capacitative styluses) but none will offer the same thing, because it really is hardware-dependent / related.

Danp
Visitor

Thanks for the reply. Not the news I wanted to hear but guess I should have done my research before shelling out £500 on a tablet.... Oops.

LOP75
Visitor

Don't regret your purchase yet!

You have the fastest premium-built Android tablet available right now (the ones based on the K1 processor are plagued with issues).

Great screen, you can even use it with gloves on (with "gloves mode" on...), it has integrated noise cancelation with specific (cheap) Sony headphones, extremely light and it is fairly weather resistant, which is a good plus (even if you should take due care to ensure that the seals are always in mint condition - ruined a Z1 in a swimming pool on account of it).

It has the best implementation of Android available - better in my opinion even than what Google does itself in its vanilla tablets.

The Stamina Mode is actually unique and will alone sell me any Sony Android device. Same for the music player (I adore SenseMe, it is the BEST thing ever made for Android in my opinion).

And we don't have to put up with things like the toyish bloat that Samsung tries to pass as their UI!!!

drlmiles1
Contributor

@LOP75   Great to hear someone else loving their Z4 Tablet. I've owned 3 Android tablets:

First was the Motorola Xoom - Great tablet, built (and weighed) like a brick - I once dropped it on my foot, and my foot definitely came off worse! - and a Google Experience device that got the latest updates (if you bought it in the USA, but I live in the UK). Support from Motorola was utter garbage - they stopped updating it very soon, and we were left many Android iterations behind with significant bugs still present, bugs that had been fixed on the Google experience Xoom.

Second tablet was Xperia Tablet Z - it was still turning heads when I used it up to a few months ago, worked brilliantly for work and play, and kept reasonably up to date (in comparison with Motorola).

Third and final tablet is the Z4, which is amazing, particularly because of the keyboard which adds enormously to its functionality, while still remaining very light in weight. I use it as a GP (doctor) on my home visits, and there is no longer fiddly setting up of a separate Bluetooth keyboard, and trying to find somewhere to stand and use both the tablet and keyboard in a patient's home. Apart from inability to play some games (PC ones, mainly), this is a worthy laptop substitute

LOP75
Visitor

@drlmiles Thanks - go figure, I have a Tablet Z as well. I am yet to believe that it has been updated so many versions, AND IT IS ON THE ROADMAP TO RECEIVE ANDROID 6.0 .

I actually use it as my "alarm clock" always fitted to its power stand next to my bed. It is a meager S4 processor (and it sure is quite slow for nowaday's standards) but it works like a champ with what it has.

I use a bluetooth speaker and a specific app for streaming live radio; this app has a setting to start upon connection of the bluetooth speaker, so whenever I want I just turn on the speaker in my living-room (or kitchen or bathroom!) and it connects to the tablet, starts the streaming and plays, stopping when I turn off the bluetooth speaker.

Happy that I never got rid of it actually! Slightly_smiling_Face