Join now - be part of our community!

Apps From Unknown Sources - Problem

SOLVED
Andy147
Visitor

Apps From Unknown Sources - Problem

Hi

Although my primary user account has "Allow Unknown sources" selected and I have no trouble installing apps there, I am unable to install the same apps from my secondary account.  It says I need to change the setting but it's greyed out in the secondary account's settings and not switchable.

How do I fix this issue?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rickard
Master

With Android 5.0, there's an issue with enabling unknown sources in other user profiles but this was changed in Android 5.1. There's a discussion about it here with a response from Google: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79728#c179

As the latest version available for Z4 Tablet at moment is Android 5.0 i'm afraid i don't have any solution for you. You could perhaps try to install the app using ADB as described in the thread at Google and see if that works.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Andy147

That seems to be a lollipop restriction

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Andy147

What kind of account is the secondary account? just tested this with a Z3 and you can select from unknown sources

Andy147
Visitor

Hi uliwooly, thanks for your quick response.

It's a second standard user account, not a guest account.  What's strange is that a message box appears telling me I need to change the setting, there is even a button in the message box that takes me to the correct setting page, but as I said, the "allow Unknown Sources" button there is greyed out.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Andy147

Create a new account and check again.

Andy147
Visitor

OK, did that, just the same unfortunately.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Andy147

I'm sorry to hear that, perhaps @Johan could comment on this.

Jake-SonyXperia
Champion

Hi Guys,

I have just tested this on my own device, mine is greyed out also, this sounds like some variants will allow it and some will not.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

@Jake-SonyXperiaSupport@Andy147@uliwooly

I remember Rickard said a guest account or other than owner account cannot install apps.

@Rickard Could you shed some light?

alexdon
Andy147
Visitor

OK, so is there anything I can do to fix it?