Join now - be part of our community!

Vista: Disk requires checking at startup

pedmonds
Visitor

Vista: Disk requires checking at startup

My Vaio VGN-G11Vn has recently started asking for a disk check (for consistency) each time it boots up. It takes 15-20 mins to scan then fires up OK, but if I turn off (as opposed to just hibernate) then it asks for another scan at the next boot-up. If I take the option to cancel the disc check, it still starts up fine, and laptop works normally as far as I can tell. Has anyone got any suggestions of what I should do to fix this please?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi pedmonds and welcome to the forum.

The problem you describe would suggest that the drive has been marked as “dirty” hence the need for it to be checked for integrity. This may possibly indicate that the drive is failing – but not necessarily.

There are ways to either exclude drives from the default boot-time check or to restores the ”Dirty Bit” to a normal condition.

First, open an elevated command prompt by typing CMD into the search line, and then right click the listed program and select 'run as administrator'.

To turn off the marked “dirty bit” and restore to normal condition type (or copy and paste) chkntfs /d at the command prompt and hit enter.

To exclude the C: drive from the default boot-time check type (or copy and paste) chkntfs /x C: (Substitute actual drive letter if not the C drive).

Alternatively to force a full scan, type chkdsk c: /r and follow the prompts to schedule this to occur on re-boot. This should also clear the dirty bit.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
pedmonds
Visitor

Thanks Richard, a full check disk had already been run, so I followed your instructions (chkntfs /d) to turn off the dirty bit. Whne I re-booted though, the same problem occures. Looks like I'll have to grab all my data off the disk and restore the factory settings? I'll be disappointed if the disk is on its way out, the machine is only 24 m old and has been regularly rather than heavily used. Appreciate your help last night though. regards, Paul

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Paul,

This would seem to confirm that there is a problem with the Hard Drive and as you suggest an urgent backup is advisable.

As an alternative to a restore to factory settings you could always purchase a 2.5 inch USB caddy and create an image of your existing drive on the new HD. This will save several hours of re-installing software. The caddy should cost no more that £15 and I recommend Acronis True Image for the required software.

Best of luck and please keep us updated on progress...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
pedmonds
Visitor

Thank you again, downloading Acronis as I write. Presume I can use a standalone hard drive I already have rather than have to purchase a USB caddy? I'll let you know how it goes, and again, thank you for your expertise and time, rgds, Paul

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Paul,

I Presume I can use a standalone hard drive I already have rather than have to purchase a USB caddy?

Yes you can but you would then need to transfer this to the replacement notebook drive thus increasing the possibility of data corruption.

It makes more sense to create the disk image on the drive that will be fitted in the notebook. Your shout, but for an additional cost of £15.00 is it worth the risk?....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat