Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-TZ camera problem

scourtneyuk
Visitor

VGN-TZ camera problem

I've had my TZ for nearly a year (or maybe a bit more, can't remember) and have only ever tried to use the camera with Skype. At first it worked only if I re-started the machine,in order to avoid the "camera is in use by another program" (which it wasn't) warning. Now it never seems to work at all. I wouldn't even know how to use it with anything but Skype in order to test it, but the camera does appear in the Device Manager list and says it's working properly. The machine came with Vista Business installed. I don't know if this is a Vaio problem, a Camera Capture Utility (whatever that is) problem, a Vista problem or something else I can't even guess. All the threads I've searched on this offer driver updates and Microsoft hotfix links that are from 2007, thus pre-dating this machine, so I'm wary about using them. For the same reason, I haven't installed Vista Service Pack 1 yet.

1 REPLY 1
skykit84
New

In Vista, what does it say under cameras or wherever it belongs?
What I am getting at is the name of what it shows it as - reason being is when I did a clean Vista install on both the TZ and SZ laptop, Vista installed a camera (potentially a generic one) which as far as Vista/DM was concerned, worked perfectly.
However, I had the same issue as you on both laptops...

The fix was simply to "upgrade" the drivers using the Sony one from their site (I downloaded the entire 50mb or whatever it is bundle of drivers)

This also changed the name of the driver - Can't tell you from what to what until I get home but it might push you in the right direction