Join now - be part of our community!

UNABLE TO READ FILES ON D DRIVE FOLLOWING RECOVERY OF C DRIVE

rossowheels
Visitor

UNABLE TO READ FILES ON D DRIVE FOLLOWING RECOVERY OF C DRIVE

Help! I recently had to recover my C drive and can now operate my Vaio normally. However, the files that are in D drive cannot be accessed although I can see that they exist by going into properties. Presumably this is because I recovered C drive and therefore the operating system was set to the original factory settings and the profiles that I had were wiped. Is it possible for me to access this data or do I have to recover both C and D drives and kiss my files goodbye?

Neil

6 REPLIES 6
nio_7
Visitor

What is the error message that you get??
Did you recover using Sony's recovery discs or a Disk Cloning Program?
I have recovered my C many many times but always using a Hard Disk Cloning Program and never had such an issue. But to be honest, I've never tried Sony's recovery disks to recover and see what happens.

You can also try this, it may have a result for you.

Right Click on "Computer" icon > Select "Manage". Now on the window that opens, on the left side, select Storage > Disk Management and wait till you see all your drives on the right.
Then right click on the drive you want to open and select Open or Explore. It may work as it's not exactly the same like going through the windows explorer, It helped me out once with a similar problem. I couldn't have access in my D because of a virus, and with this way
i could see and copy all my files.
This procedure applies to both XP and Vista and it's the same in both.

Try and tell me what happens

rossowheels
Visitor

Thanks for your advice. I tried your suggestion and when I try to open the "My Documents" folder I receive the message "D:\My Documents is not accessible. Access is denied".

In answer to the first part of your reply I recovered my XP from a partition on my C Drive. Apparently Sony do this instead of supplying discs. My computer is fully useable with the exception of being able to access the data on my D drive which presumably is because XP was reinstalled to the original factory settings.

nio_7
Visitor

Then i guess that theres something else you can try.
To try a data recovery program to restore your files.
I have once tried a program called "Active Undelete" which had a result for my corrupted partition and i recovered many files. The disadvantage of this is that the filenames are lost and you'll have to open the files 1-1 to see the content and rename them.
So try this one and tell me what happens.

If this doesn't work either, then only one thing will be left to do but only if you have the knowledge and experience!!
To open your laptop and take the hard disk outside and plug it in another computer as a slave to see the files inside.
BUT!!you may do this ONLY if you have the appropriate knowledge and experience, otherwise do not even think about it!!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi rossowheels,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Does the following guide from Microsoft help, use the following link and follow the instructions listed under Resolution: "Access is Denied" error message when you try to open a folder

rossowheels
Visitor

Thanks very much. It is now OK - simple when you know how!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: You're welcome rossowheels.. :slight_smile: