SVE1713 won't boot - BCD error

SOLVED
profile.country.SI.title
pretnarm
Explorer

SVE1713 won't boot - BCD error

Hello to all

My Vaio SVE1713C5E suddenly won't boot.

I was able to normally use vaio this morning before going to work, when I got home and start my vaio it didn't want to boot. All I see is blue screen and a message:

The Boot Configuration Data file is missisng some required information.

File: \BCD

Error code: 0x0000034

Laptop is only a month old and only HD was replaced with SSD and DVD drive was replaced with another disk drive (replaed by seller). On SSD drive there is no VAIO recovery partition and because of that I was unable to create recovery media.

Is there any way to repair boot configuration data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.SI.title
pretnarm
Explorer

Thanks for reply,

pressing ASSIST button or ESC key (on blue screen) takes me to VAIO Care rescue mode screen, but from there all I am able to access is BIOS, clicking on other options brings me back to blue screeen and message about BCD :smileycry:.

I was able to repair BCD yesterday :smileylaugh:. Since my laptop doesn't have DVD drive I installed Ubuntu on USB stick using another computer. Ran ubuntu on live preview from which I was able to access Win 8 recovery partition and copied all content of recovery partition to another USB.

After restaring laptop I entered VAIO Care rescue mode inserted USB stick and choose Start from media, from there I just followed the instructions and after automatic restart laptop booted into windows :smileylaugh:.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi pretnarm and welcome.

With your Vaio turned off completely, what happens when you press the purple ASSIST button?

If this takes you to the 'Recovery' screen, it may be possible to go to the Command Prompt and repair BCD.

Otherwise, you may have to reinstall the operating system.  The COA Poduct Key should be held in the computer's hardware.

:thinking:

profile.country.SI.title
pretnarm
Explorer

Thanks for reply,

pressing ASSIST button or ESC key (on blue screen) takes me to VAIO Care rescue mode screen, but from there all I am able to access is BIOS, clicking on other options brings me back to blue screeen and message about BCD :smileycry:.

I was able to repair BCD yesterday :smileylaugh:. Since my laptop doesn't have DVD drive I installed Ubuntu on USB stick using another computer. Ran ubuntu on live preview from which I was able to access Win 8 recovery partition and copied all content of recovery partition to another USB.

After restaring laptop I entered VAIO Care rescue mode inserted USB stick and choose Start from media, from there I just followed the instructions and after automatic restart laptop booted into windows :smileylaugh:.