Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio TT Memory Upgrade 200pin or 204pin

profile.country.GB.title
strang3r
New

Sony Vaio TT Memory Upgrade 200pin or 204pin

I want to upgrade the memory in my vaio vgn-tt11m.

The sony website claims (on its accessories page for the TT) the ram is 200 pin soddim, whereas anywhere else i look, including crucial.com, they claim its 204 pin.. what gives?

Which is it???

Thanx in advance for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Strang3r,

welcome to club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

What does the Crucial Memory Advisor tool advise.?

The Crucial Memory Advisor tool should scan your computer to find out what is already inside your system and suggest recommended upgrades..

profile.country.GB.title
strang3r
New

Hey Thalamus,

The crucial scan actually failed to pick up any info, also my vaio model wasn't listed in their list to find out manually. So i emailed crucial and they replied back saying that my model (vgn-ttlm) is the same as vgn-tt150n so they gave me a link to the memory info of that particular model:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.asp?model=VAIO+VGN-TT150N%2fB

And if you click on the memory on their page it is actually 204 pin. And as i mentioned earlier, the sony website claims the vaio tt takes 200pin. So i'm a little confused.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think all DDR3 SODIMM modules are 204-pin.

I'll check with Sony and get back when I hear.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
strang3r
New

Thanx Blencogo!

I opened up the RAM compartment to look at the current RAM i have installed. To my surprise, there was only one slot and the current 2GB was no where to seen.. Does that mean the current 2GB is hidden away in the system? or perhaps mounted permanently onto the motherboard?

And the Sony website claims my model should have 2x1024MB installed. Looks like someone at Sony is slacking a bit!!

profile.country.GB.title
strang3r
New

Just to conclude what I started.. I got an email from Sony, who confirmed that the RAM that came with the unit is installed within the system and cannot be removed - and also the RAM installed is 204 pin.. So therefore I have since bought and installed another ddr3 204 pin RAM. Thought i'd finish of this thread for anyone else who has a similar enquiry.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thought i'd finish of this thread for anyone else who has a similar enquiry.

Thanks for the update Strang3r.. :slight_smile: