Join now - be part of our community!

Service Pack 2 --- lost my right click --- WHY????

hogwarty
Visitor

Service Pack 2 --- lost my right click --- WHY????

HELP ... I've (unwisely) allowed Windows Update to install SP2 on my Vaio laptop running Home Edition. Now the right-click function of the mouse ust causes it to crash! Should I follow the instructions on the MS website to uninstall it?

HOG.:smileyconfused:

10 REPLIES 10
nick_pan
Visitor

most hardware, or software for that matter that doesnt function properly with the new service pack should have updates on the manufacturers website. new drivers etc

Are you talking about your touchpad? or an external mouse?

see this seems an odd thing to go wrong due to SP2, cause i cant see how it inteferes with any of the new security updates of SP2

hogwarty
Visitor

Thanks for that. The problem is with the touchpad, although I've not tried a plug-in mouse. The problem is with Right Click on anything on the desktop. I can right click within Internet Explorer for example. It was all working fine before SP2. I've run a full virus scan with up to date Norton AV, and scanned for spyware with Spybot.

Oh dear.

TygerTyger
Visitor

May well be that the driver needs an SP2 pack. Take a look at www.vaio-link.com and see if there's a newer driver for the touchpad.

nick_pan
Visitor

lol tyger what have we said about sony and drivers? :tongue:

if you do find an updated driver, congratulations...

otherwise, if it bothers you that much, roll back onto sp1 i suppose

must say it sounds very very odd though

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Apparently this is quite common, a friend of mine said he had the same issues as you. He mainly gets it in IE6.

I haven't found a solution yet, and as technet has got worse for searching I can't find an MS solution either.

William
Visitor

removing SP2 is available in "add/remove programs"

If you have the time and inclination install it a second time. I had trouble with one of my computers (no icons on desktop) but the second time I installed it everything was fine.

Touchpad drivers can be found doing an internet search eg "Alps touchpad drivers" or " synaptics touchpad drivers" Just compare your existing driver revision number with the search results.

I am currently using a much newer alps touchpad driver I found on a Toshiba website.

William
William

hogwarty
Visitor

:smileygrin: Ah well - rolled back to before SP2 was installed and guess what?

Everything works perfectly.

And since I'm already using Norton Internet Security, I wonder if SP2 is really needed at the mo. Maybe I'll wait a while to see if they get its bugs ironed out.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

My friend did the same thing and was fine.
Must be an SP2 code issue.

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

I'm gonna wait until SP4. They should have sorted it all out by then!! :smileygrin: