Join now - be part of our community!

Running memory 1:1 on SZ2HP/B

Intratech
Visitor

Running memory 1:1 on SZ2HP/B

I've upgraded the memory modules in my VAIO to PC2-5400 in the hopes that I would be able to run it 1:1 with the FSB instead of the 5:8 divider that it was running with the stock single module however I find that it's still running 5:8 with no option in the BIOS to change the memory setting. Now I've seen where the Yonah platform supports PC2-5400 ram in dual channel configuration but it seems as if Sony have crippled the native capability of the platform. Can we please have a BIOS which give full PC2-5400 memory support or am I missing something?

2 REPLIES 2
William
Visitor

I was in exactly the same situation about three years ago with a GRX notebook. The Sony installed memory was not running at its full potential.

The USA Vaio site offered a Bios update which cured this but the European site did not.

It involved swapping BIOS ROM files with those on a European floppy Bios update, so that the machine would allow an update after model checking.

Not for the faint hearted!

However, in this instance YOU have chosen to put faster RAM in your machine, not Sony. Therefore it is very very unlikely that Sony will add your wish to future Bios revisions.

Your only hope is that they will bring out a new model with faster RAM in the same Model Series. If they do you may be able to graft the Bios ROM files onto an update for your model and take advantage of the RAM you have fitted.

But its all hypothetical and very risky.

Intratech
Visitor

Well that just sucks because they are crippling the native capability of the core logic. If there a BIOS that does support it for this motherboard then I don't mind modifying the BIOS file, I've done it with video card BIOS in the past so can't imagine that it would be something too hard to accomplish.
Cheers anyways.