Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with C:/ drive

murayaz7
New

Problem with C:/ drive

Hey guys,

Got a problem with my laptop i think. I got my sony vaio (type FW21E) last week and have 2 partitions now. My C drive is 80 gb and my G drive is 206 gb. And everything i download, i download on my G drive.

Last week i installed everything that i wanted to have (programs) on my laptop and after that i had 53,3 gb space left on my C drive. Suddenly, i dont know how, i had 50 gb left on my C drive. And now i have 49 gb left. It seems like every day my C drive is getting loaded with something, but i dont know with what. Very strange, cause i dont download anything on my c drive. When i rightclick on my C drive it says that i used 31.5 gb. But when i'm in my C drive and select everything and go to properties, it says that i used only 17.6 gb.

Anyone had a similar problem? And if so, is there a solution for it?

Take care

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
micdonal
Visitor

What is using up your free space is System Restore. In Vista the system creates a restore point every day and before/aftr installation of programs. It can use up to 15% of your disk space.
You can delete all restore points except the last one by running the Disk Cleanup utility and selecting the More Options tab.
Alternatively you can limit the size of backup storage using vssadmin commands. I don't have the commands to hand but Google will give you the details.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dakilla,

as Quackers quite rightly stated the missing HDD space is probably due to the space used by Vista's System Restore..

You can check what space is being used and allocated to shadow storage by follow this guide..

Click Start, then click All programs followed by Accessories.

In Accessories Right Click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

In the Command Prompt window type: vssadmin list shadowstorage and then click Enter

Hopefully you should see..

Used Shadow Copy Storage space:

Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space:

Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space:

You can, if you wish, decrease the Storage Space allocated to system restore, make sure you read the text before you actually reduce the allocated space, click the following link for a guide: Decrease Storage Space Allocated To System Restore

murayaz7
New

Thanks for the reply guys. It worked.

Take care

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile: