Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-2G2P total hard drive failure after online Vaio Update

SilentBob17
Visitor

PCG-2G2P total hard drive failure after online Vaio Update

Can anyboby shed some light on this?
Had my media center for a month & was working fine till the autoupdate from sony download a new update then after reboot nothing ....came up with system not found.
Tried the recovey disc comes up with no hard drive.
Tried a fresh install from my XP disc to get it running also no hard drive found.
When you boot the system it just comes up with the Vaio logo for a few mins then black screen with system not found

Regards
Silent Bob 17

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Silent Bob 17 and welcome.

Can you give us the correct model number - there is no such Vaio model as the PCG-2G2P. If it is a media centre, the model will start with VGC or VGF.

Your Vaio will not boot from a XP install disc as it probably has a SATA drive not supported by XP.

Which update exactly caused the problem? Can you remember? Are you sure it came from Vaio Update - there are not usually any automatic updates.

All you can try before contacting Sony Support is to reinstall the system from the hard drive recovery. Turn on your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo, press F10 repeatedly. Unless your hard drive is trashed, this should start the Vaio Recovery Centre. Choose a complete recovery back to factory settings and allow a while for the recovery to work. Do not interrupt this - it could take some time.

You will then have to setup your Vaio as you did when you first bought it.

Come back with the name of the update so we can report it to Sony.

:thinking:

SilentBob17
Visitor

Sorry all it's a VGXTP3GB

and it had vista pre loaded on it , I was just trying to get something to load. I checked bios and the h/d doesnt show up there as well . It was a sony update that did this I was watching it load about 8 days ago and after the reboot nothing, I've only had the machine for 5 weeks it's pretty sad.

Regards
Silent Bob17

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Silent Bob17

If the Hard Disc doesn't show in the BIOS and won't boot using F10 at the Vaio boot logo then sadly it's time to call Sony support for a repair.

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/contacts/contacts.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons

:slight_frown: