Join now - be part of our community!

New Sony Owner - quick Question for seasoned TX vets....

Anall
Visitor

New Sony Owner - quick Question for seasoned TX vets....

Greetings,

Just got myself a gorgeous new TX1 HP laptop and am very happy apart from one thing.

It seems to me that the hard drive light is almost always on - i never see it off for any more than 1 or 2 secs even when idle.

I upgraded to 1.5 Gb ram and the machine is new.

Was hoping that this was normal and it's just what im used to.

Can any other TX users confirm this?

Appreciate it....and size matters :smileygrin:

8 REPLIES 8
Anall
Visitor

Bah, so much for the feelgood factor!

My new 1.5Gig ram seems to be freezing the laptop.

Have tried virtual memory settings etc. and still get windows hanging after 10 or so minutes with coloured artifacts all over the screen 😞

Anyone else ever had any issues installing memory in a TX?

Bueller.....?

Anyone....?

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Anall and welcome to the Club!

What specification memory module did you put in?

Was it the same as THIS ?

If it is you may need to remove and replace the module to make sure it is seated properly.

:thinking:

Anall
Visitor

Thanks Blen,

yes i ordered through Crucial.

Last night i restored windows and even though the laptop was less than a week old after doing that the hard drive light went out and the memory was fine.

Very strange imo.....

typical PC - no reason for it not to work and no reason that it should have worked......

but it did!!

If in doubt restore....

:slight_smile:

carthorian
Visitor

Memory modules are usually upgraded by 2 modules, for example: 2x512, 2x1024, 2x256. I'll spare the technical reason, but if you don't keep to that pattern, 2/3 computers will freeze (in my 6 years corp. experience).

Have you tested your individual memory modules? If the modules aren't malfunctioning, you should consider upgrading in pairs like stated above.

Anall
Visitor

Cheers Cart but i managed to get it working as above by restoring the machine strangely!

Thanks !:smileygrin:

carthorian
Visitor

Cheers Cart but i managed to get it working as above by restoring the machine strangely!

Thanks !:smileygrin:

Congratulations. Ofcourse a software error was possible too.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Anall,

Glad to hear you got it working!!!

:smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

royhuang
Visitor

Corection and possible fix...

I have a TX1XP and the memory DOES NOT need to be paired. The stock 512meg machine can be upgraded by installing one 1gig module.

Check the file indexing service used by XP: if it's on, the the HD will catalog the file contents of your HD when not in use (not sure how long the machine has to stay idle before it kicks in). Right-click on each drive icon and select Properties; disable the 'Allow Indexing..' at the bottom of the window and see if that helps, should the problem reappear.