Join now - be part of our community!

Losing Internet connection

Losing Internet connection

Dear All,

This problem may have already had an answer posted somewhere, i have checked but cannot find the answer.

I have a one week old Sony Vaio VGN-FW31J running vista premium. The problem i have is staying connected to the internet, signal strength is excellent and another laptop i have stays connected fine.

I can connect and use the Internet,somtimes, but after a few
minutes my connection status changes to "local only". Sometimes it
will reconnect again on its own and give me internet access.
Sometimes I have to change the 'profile' in the LAN settings on the VAIO smart network. Eventually is seems to stay connected but if i close explorer and reopen the problem will reappear. I have hunted the internet and a number of people seem to have a similar issue with their VAIO but cannot find a straight forward answer.

How can I make the connection more stable?

Thanks for hopefully being able to point me in the right direction

Martin

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Martin and welcome to Club Vaio.

You can try three things: -

1. The most successful fix is to download and install the latest Intel WiFi driver - you can download it here: -

Intel 4965AGN Ver 12.2.0.0

Start Button -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Centre -> Manage Wireless Networks
Right-Click on your Network and choose Properties

2. Turn off the TCP/IP IPv6 option

3. On the Connection Tab, UNCHECK 'Connect to a more preferred network if available'. Make sure the other two boxes are checked.

Not guaranteed fixes - but well worth a try!

:wink:

Thanks,

have been scouring the internet looking for a 'cure' i updated the driver (never had to do that before, always slightly concerning in case you make everything worse), so far its worked a treat, connecting straight away and not lost connection once.

Thanks again