Join now - be part of our community!

EXPERT HELP for VPCEH1J1E Model: PCG-71911M clean install Windows 7 to new HDD

SOLVED
BuffaloMatt
Explorer

EXPERT HELP for VPCEH1J1E Model: PCG-71911M clean install Windows 7 to new HDD

Hi Folks,

I have just installed a new HDD on to my laptop and I want to now install Windows 7. Unfortunately I cannot find my recovery disc.  I have my Windows Product Key and I vaguely remember registering my Vaio when I bought it.

I have done some searching in the forum but I don't see anything to help. I am hoping that I will be able to download Windows 7 and maybe burn it to a DVD and then install it on to my new HDD. :slight_smile:

What do I need to do?

Also, does anybody know whether this processor can run 64 bit Windows? (VPCEH1J1E )

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi BuffaloMatt

All I can suggest is to borrow a Windows 7 Installation Disc, install this on your Vaio and pray that when you phone Microsoft, they will allow activation using the product key you have. You can then install the Drivers and Utility programs from Sony Support here:-

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCEH1J1E

Unfortunately, this will rely on the goodwill of the Microsoft operative as you have a product key for the OEM Sony version of Windows 7 and you are not strictly entitled to install a full retail copy of the OS.

The alternative is to buy a replacement Recovery Disc Set for about £35. This would not work if you have changed the HDD for a larger, Advanced Format HDD as these newer drives are not compatible with the Recovery Media.

The advantage of the first option is the lesser cost and also the freedom to install a 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Your Intel Dual-Core Pentium B940 processor has 64-bit support but it is an entry-level processor with onboard Graphics but has all the enhancements disabled. Features like Turbo Boost for the CPU part, HyperThreading, AES, Virtualization (VT-x and VT-d), Trusted Execution or Intel Quick Sync are deactivated.

:wink:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi BuffaloMatt

All I can suggest is to borrow a Windows 7 Installation Disc, install this on your Vaio and pray that when you phone Microsoft, they will allow activation using the product key you have. You can then install the Drivers and Utility programs from Sony Support here:-

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCEH1J1E

Unfortunately, this will rely on the goodwill of the Microsoft operative as you have a product key for the OEM Sony version of Windows 7 and you are not strictly entitled to install a full retail copy of the OS.

The alternative is to buy a replacement Recovery Disc Set for about £35. This would not work if you have changed the HDD for a larger, Advanced Format HDD as these newer drives are not compatible with the Recovery Media.

The advantage of the first option is the lesser cost and also the freedom to install a 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Your Intel Dual-Core Pentium B940 processor has 64-bit support but it is an entry-level processor with onboard Graphics but has all the enhancements disabled. Features like Turbo Boost for the CPU part, HyperThreading, AES, Virtualization (VT-x and VT-d), Trusted Execution or Intel Quick Sync are deactivated.

:wink:

BuffaloMatt
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.

The HDD is a 500GB Samsung 5400rpm SATA, that's all I know about it.

I seem to recall that the original HDD was smaller.

I do have a Wndows 7 upgrade disk for my desktop. I'll try that and hope it might load Windows so that I could try my luck with Microsoft.

Would I need to download all that stuff on the Windows 7 link you gave?

Thanks again.

BuffaloMatt
Explorer

Thanks Blencogo.

I have now got Windows 7 loaded and I'm happily downloading loads of drivers from the SONY website onto my PC. I intend to then burn these to a dvd and load them onto my VAIO. I see each 'driver' has to be installed individually and then the system restarted. Can I install them all and then to do just one restart?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi BuffaloMatt,

I don't know the answer to that as some software may depend on the drivers being installed first.

I don't think you will do any lasting damage if you try just one restart but I do recall that when reinstalling using the recovery discs, there are periodic restarts.

Hopefully, an error will show when you try to install one that has a depenency on other software.

Good Luck!

:thinking:

BuffaloMatt
Explorer

BuffaloMatt
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks again Blancogo.

I have the computer up and running okay now. I had to reboot a few times but it worked in the end. For anybody else reading this, I did have a problem with the message "The installed battery may not be properly connected....".

When this message shows the system just goes into hibernation. Very disconcerting, but don't worry your battery is probably fine. If you search this forum using the error message text, there is a fix involving disabling the IBS service in the system start up list which works fine. I'm not sure about how to provide a link to it.

And the good news is that the Sony Product ID (even though it's OEM) activates Windows 7 online without a problem.

:smileyhappy::smileythumbsup: