Join now - be part of our community!

Change firmware BDP-S780 to other Country??

profile.country.en_GB.title
bocowli
Visitor

Change firmware BDP-S780 to other Country??

Hi

I've seen a few comments, but nothing conclusive, so maybe Sony (or someone) could confirm this.

Problem. I live in China. I purchased BDP-S780 (together with 46HX920 telly) in Shanghai.

For both of these items, the firmware does not include Skype and some other things that are "free issue" in other Countries.

I want to put, for example, UK firmware into the player so that Skype becomes available. Is it possible to do this, will it work or screw up the player?

It really angers me that the cost of the TV and player here in China was much higher than in the West, but the equipment has been "Comunised" (restricted, in its functions)

Any advise?

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Edited for profanity and personal details

4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Afraid we can't say with any certainty as the firmware may prevent itself being installed on devices outside of a particular region. Very much your deicision if you choose to attempt to install an alternative firmware.

Thanks

bocowli
Visitor

Hi Catmambo

Thanks for your comments. Currently I am away from home, but when I return, I think I will give UK firmware a try. It has two chances, it will work --- or not! If it breaks the player, then so be it!

But I think it is crazy that Sony have put me in this situation.

I'll tell you something else (but maybe should be in the Bravia forum). I downloaded the Sony TV Android remote control program for use on my Galaxy phone. It starts up fine with English display. But as soon as it sees the TV, it switches to Chinese, even though the TV is set to English! How crazy is that??????????? Disgusting.

Regards

Catmambo
Contributor

Well Skype is illegal in China - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/8231444/China-makes-Skype-illegal.html so presumably its illegal to ship a device with Skype support, thus its locked out. Simply, Sony have to abide by the rules and regulations of the countries in which we operate.

Thanks

bocowli
Visitor

Actually, it is not illegal. It can be downloaded freely from tomskype, which is the offical in-China version of Skype.