Join now - be part of our community!

HX20V Control Wheel 'Rattles'

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
bbyd161
New

HX20V Control Wheel 'Rattles'

Does anyone have an issue with the small control wheel positioned on the rear of the HX20V camera being excessively loose. I love the camera but have had to return 2 back to the supplier due to the rear control wheel being loose and 'rattley'

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bbyd161
New

Hi,

The rotational operation of the wheel is fine. However the overall looseness of the wheel, in an in and out direction, on a camera that otherwise has extremely good build quality has led me to reject 2 of these cameras. I have searched the web to see if there is a quick fix with no results. I have another HX20V on its way, hepfuly this one will be OK

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello sonymun - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I am not aware of any outstanding issues with the control wheel on this camera. With your current HX20V, the cause for concern would be if the wheel gradually gets more and more loose (or if it makes a louder and louder 'rattling' sound) as time goes on - have you noticed this at all?

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

I just checked with a brand new DSC-H20V and indeed the control wheel seems to be very easy to turn - you can get the impression that it is "loose" somehow. However I donot think that this is a malfunction and it was meant to be that way for easy operation. I also compared to a DSC-HX9 which has the same control dial. In fact it seemed a little bit more "damped" but was basically the same.

bbyd161
New

Hi,

The rotational operation of the wheel is fine. However the overall looseness of the wheel, in an in and out direction, on a camera that otherwise has extremely good build quality has led me to reject 2 of these cameras. I have searched the web to see if there is a quick fix with no results. I have another HX20V on its way, hepfuly this one will be OK

Rsboxer
New

I am curious if you managed to get a third camera that rattled less. I just bought a hx20v and experienced the same rattling. When I unboxed the camera I initially thought something more serious was wrong. While everything works fine I do also find this rattle on an otherwise very solid camera a bit disconcerting. Debating whether to return it or not.

Update: I returned the camera and purchased a used Canon G9 instead, a 6 year old camera with a similar control wheel that feels way more solid and durable, no rattles on the Canon.