Join now - be part of our community!

Z2 Tab 3 yr extended warranty - how to register it

Z2 Tab 3 yr extended warranty - how to register it

Has anyone who bought a new  Z2 tablet from the Sony Store Online (in the UK) and also selected the 3 year extended warranty for a penny offer, been able to register the warranty as a specific product on their website?

If you, like me, have been unable to get any sense out of the website or their support staff, you are not alone. The support staff seem to be unaware of what is on their own website and are content to simply repeat the same pointless litany. I should point out that you can register the tablet and the docking charger (also sold for 1 penny) but the only warranty product that exists on the dropdown list is a "total care" product which cost £50.

There is no mention of any other form of warranty. Also, although the warranty is emailed out to customers, it says in black and white that the warranty is not valid until it is registered on their website, so you could say it is not worth the paper it isn't written on. However, they did charge me a penny for it so I think they are in breach of the Sale of Goods Act. I shall be pleased to read of any other buyers' experiences when trying to register the warranty.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi RHinchcliff and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

When you say support "repeat the same pointless litany" can I ask what they have suggested you do?

If you can give some more details that would be great.

I assume the warranty registering page comes after the tablet registration page? I had a go at registering a Tablet Z2 but nothing about a warranty appeared on that page.

The problem you're facing could just be a website error (brand new platform, teething troubles etc.) but in any case I have escalated this for you just to check :slight_smile:

If any others are having problems then let us know.

profile.country.GB.title
atcde1

I have a similar but different problem. I phoned Sony prior to buying the Z2 on their website and was told it had a standard 2-year warranty. After registering it, the system said it only had a 1-year warranty. I'm disappointed to have been misinformed, as I would probably have bought it from John Lewis who were offering a longer standard warranty. 

I then tried to purchase the extended 3-year warranty online from Sony for £50. Although I was able to register my device, and the serial number was accepted, when I tried to purchase the warranty the serial number was rejected. I was told it needed to be 7 digits, but my serial number is a combination of letters and numbers that does not contain a 7-digit series within it. 

I've emailed customer services but am posting it here in case it backs up what anyone else is seeing.

profile.country.GB.title
dactyl2
Explorer

When I registered my Z2 tablet I was very surprised to find my serial number was only 2 digits.

I entered it and it was accepted.

I couldn't find any 3 year warranty fpr one penny.