Join now - be part of our community!

ran out of internal storage, what can I do? less space than advertised.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
smellyonion
New

ran out of internal storage, what can I do? less space than advertised.

this has really began to annoy me, I have installed several apps and the internal storage is full! one game was almost 2 gb, I go to storage and see that the amount available to apllications is 8.9 gb. almost half of what is advertised. then you have 4 gb reserved for the os, which is alot more than other manafacturers.

then if you work it out it only equals just under 13 gb altogether but it should be more around 15gb, if you work it out. where have 2 gb gone?

on the asus trnaformer there is over 12 gb for the user and the rest 3 gb for os. to make thinks worse, I caannot check the rom size in settings, like other tablets. to ensure its 16 gb.

there is no way in hell a 16gb drice turns into 13 gb binary, I have worked it out, I would expect to loose 3 gb on a 40 gb drive!

then to add insult to injury, you do not have move to usb? so there is no way of expanding the storage! so not only do you make 2 gb disappear, you dont let us expand the storage.

installing a couple of apps and the device being full makes it almost unusable as a device based on apps and games.

what are you going to do about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

info in first post is not exactly correct.

space for apps on 16gb is 8.92 'internal sdcard' + 3.94 Gb 'internal',

of which some is occupied with preinstalled delete-able and non-deletable contents.

In the rest of the 16 gb sit the operatingsystem and other preinstalled software.

smellyonion probably had his 3.94Gb full and needed to find the setting to 'Move' apps 'to Sdcard' in settings / storage.

New apps by default install in 3.94Gb.

To use internal sdcard storage for apps (instead of media), you have to move them manually.

This is just the Android operating system's design,

originally for smart phones, adapted for more space demanding applications on smarter phones, tablets etc.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rdorian1
Visitor

It'll be to do with the Flash/SSD controller reserving space for cache; modern SSD's don't have dedicated  cache like a hard disk. It's normal for this technology. For example my 240GB ssd has 223gb available... far less than a hard drive would have available at the same capacity.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

info in first post is not exactly correct.

space for apps on 16gb is 8.92 'internal sdcard' + 3.94 Gb 'internal',

of which some is occupied with preinstalled delete-able and non-deletable contents.

In the rest of the 16 gb sit the operatingsystem and other preinstalled software.

smellyonion probably had his 3.94Gb full and needed to find the setting to 'Move' apps 'to Sdcard' in settings / storage.

New apps by default install in 3.94Gb.

To use internal sdcard storage for apps (instead of media), you have to move them manually.

This is just the Android operating system's design,

originally for smart phones, adapted for more space demanding applications on smarter phones, tablets etc.

profile.country.en_IE.title
jimboire
Visitor

it is hard to beleive how bad this product is

I am actually going to lodge a complaint to the consumers association under the sale of goods act

smellyonion
New

no, its the 8.92 which gets full, the 3.94 is unusable. move to sd card does nothing. for apps only 8.92 is usable of which 460 mb is used by a bug in the camera app. something like the sony movie unlimited, where movies are 2gb you have to download to internal storage which is absolutely rediculous, it gives you the option of download the external sd but this option does not work.

other tablets feature 12.something gb  on the internal sd storage and 2.something on the internal and they are expandable.