Join now - be part of our community!

Displaying the S1 on my TV

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
clanmoran
Visitor

Displaying the S1 on my TV

I dont have a wi-fi enabled TV, is there a sony gadget I can attach to my TV to 'throw' video and pictures on to my TV? If not is there a third party gadget?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

The TV itself just simply needs to be connected to the same network as the tablet itself. So for instance, if you connect your TV via router with a cable then your tablet via wifi to your router, throw functionality providing your TV supports DLNA should function.

As far as I am aware, the main thing your TV should support for DLNA is something called "push" content which most network based models should accept

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ctetuk3000
Visitor

I dont know to much about it but i think the product in this link should do it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SMPN100B-Media-Player-Built-/dp/B004FQTPO2

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

The TV itself just simply needs to be connected to the same network as the tablet itself. So for instance, if you connect your TV via router with a cable then your tablet via wifi to your router, throw functionality providing your TV supports DLNA should function.

As far as I am aware, the main thing your TV should support for DLNA is something called "push" content which most network based models should accept

mazurkal
Visitor

I to do not have the latest "smart" TV's so don't have DLNA or ethernet connection. My only way "in" to the TV is through the HDMI inputs.

The Sony SMP-N100 Internet TV & USB Media Player / Network Media PLayer with WiFi looks to be what I need to DLNA enable my TV to receive anything from the "thow" facility from the Sony Tablet S.

Can anyone confirm this or otherwise?

xtrapsx
Visitor

Is there a way to display the internet on a TV from the tablet?

Presumably not via DLNA but maybe via the USB slot?

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

The USB is only there to act as a transfer port for data so being able to pump out a signal via that connection would not be possible as it has not been designed to do so.

The other problem would that would be mainly where would it connect to on a regular TV as USB signals cannot be converted in a simple manner for a regular display to handle via a tablet. A PC may be able to cope with something like that but like all other tablets, not going to be likely on a device like this.

Richy_S
Visitor

Hi Clanmoran,

A very helpful chap, Andy,  in the Exeter Sony centre sold me S480 http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-s480 DLNA enabled Blu-Ray player to act as a DLNA hub. Like you my 1st gen Bravia TV isn't LAN enabled and simply connects to the player via HDMI.

The connectivity from the Tab is a bit hit and miss but it does work.  I've also managed to stream from my HTC desire via the Tab S to the TV and from my Linux workstation to my TV using Rygel.

The whole DLNA thing feels a bit first gen and talking to a friend who uses Apple's AirTime I've come the conclusion we're all on the cutting edge with this one!

Hope this helps.

cheers.

profile.country.en_IE.title
anobrie79
Visitor

Be careful that the BRAY player you purchase can act as a renderer. Not all Network (DLNA) enabled devices can receive media via "swipe". To be honest, you're not really mssing much in my opinion. My Bravia receives media in this way ( from my SE Arc long before I purchased the Tablet) but it's not something I would use on a regular basis. Connecting ( your TV or BD) to your home network and accessing media on your PC via a server is a much more efficient method of streaming.

Message was edited by: anobrie79

Message was edited by: anobrie79