Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Sony Tablet S to Connectify Hotspot

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

Connecting Sony Tablet S to Connectify Hotspot

Downloaded and installed the Connectify software, kindly recommended by Thal.

http://connectify.blogspot.com/2010/09/connectify-21-released.html

In thread: https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/694796#694796

The story so far:  Configured and started a hotspot, the Sony Tablet S finds the network, I then enter the password and try and connect, the tablet appears in the list of clients in the connectivity software, but I can see the tablet only gets as far as trying to obtain an IP address from the hotspot, but never gets any further.

Any ideas?

Faith x

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Faith,

I'm sorry Faith I thought it may be a quick fix..:smileysad:

As I mentioned in the first thread I've not used the software so not sure how much I will be able to help & therefore could impact on your holiday time..:smileyblush:

A quick check does temporarily turning of the firewall/AV help.?

Alternatively you could have a look through the Knowledge base

You never know someone else on here may have used this before & may be ableto offer some assistance..

faithx

Hi Thal, no need to be sorry :slight_smile:

I tried disabling the Symantec Firewall on the laptop and I was then able to connect to the Connectify Hotspot and access the internet, but obviously I can't leave it permanently disabled.

I checked the Connectify KB and Symantec is not listed as a supported Firewall, but equally it is not listed as a Firewall with known compatibility issues.

I checked the firewall application settings for the Connectify application and everything is set to "ALLOW", i.e. nothing is blocked.

Oh well, it was worth a try :heart_eyes:

Faith x

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I tried disabling the Symantec Firewall on the laptop and I was then  able to connect to the Connectify Hotspot and access the internet, but  obviously I can't leave it permanently disabled.

Oh well that's encouraging, at lease Connectify works..:smileycool:

I guess it's just a matter of finding which setting in your firewall is causing the porblem..

Below has been copied from the Connectify KB which may help..

When creating a hotspot, Connectify will attempt to  configure the Windows Firewall to give you the best experience possible.  Various system preferences and settings can interfere with this process  however, and if you are running any non-Microsoft firewall security  software, we won't be able to override your settings to allow full use  of Connectify.

Below are some configurations that must be done to your firewall software in order for Connectify to be fully functional:

Open Ports

• Connectifyd.exe
    • UPnP - 1900 (UDP), 2869 (TCP), 5000 (TCP)
    • ConnectifyNetServices.exe
      • DHCP - 67 (UDP), 68 (UDP), 1317 (UDP)
      • DNS - 53 (UDP), 1303 (UDP)

In addition to these, if your firewall software has any  settings involving Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), please enable  support for these.

Also, some firewalls may require full network access be granted to Connectifyd.exe in order for Connectify to function properly.

faithx

Had a quick look at that yesterday. but couldn't find where in the firewall configuration I would set these, so decided to give up !

Going home in the morning, so lessons learned are:

1) Choose a hotel with wireless

2) Take laptop instead of tablet if only Ethernet connection available

3) Connectify works if you don't care about your network security 😉

Faith x

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

1) Choose a hotel with wireless

2) Take laptop instead of tablet if only Ethernet connection available

That's probably the easiest answer for your future trips away from home.. :wink:

Also to use connectify you'd need a laptop anyway..:smileysilly:

faithx

Yes, taking my Vaio in order to create a hotspot to use my tablet seems a little excessive.  However, this means I have reason to aquire a "friend" who already has a laptop, that I could borrow whilst on my travels :wink:

It would be interesting to find out if there is any little device that could simply plug into an Ethernet connection which would create a hotspot, but I suppose you might still have to configure a username and password to authenticate to the hotels network.  hmmmmm, just thinking aloud.

Faith x

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

I tried Connectify on a Vaio and every device that connected got stuck on Obtaining IP even on a manual setup so I went back to a more basic program, "Virtual Router" and bob's your uncle, worked a treat for me.

If you get desperate, give that a try. 🙂

faithx

cheers for tha hun, will keep it in mind x

Dude , I use Xperia SP and im not able to share my network from my laptop . except windows firewall i dont have any thing else (firewall) . And the windows firewall is disabled . can you help ???