Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
Dazburn
Explorer

new user. Bought these yesterday and wish I'd read this topic. My first set of noise cancelling headphones and I have hissing in them. I'll be returning them as for that kind of money I expected better quality.

profile.country.GB.title
ArnasN
Explorer

Based on all reviews this is best or one of the best ANC headphone... But most reviews are on 2.0.0 firmware...

We want to buy 2 of them for the family... but then looking at this thread and all others on the internet... people are telling us that 4.1.1 update renders Sony ANC worse than others with intermittent issues and Sony doesn't care at all.

I think we will avoid all Sony products, not only these two headsets, this is not acceptable.

Cheers

profile.country.LV.title
henleyb
Explorer

I bought these headphones today from a local store. In the store they had a pair I tried with the noise reduction and it was superb, blocked pretty much everything and was really surprising. I bought a boxed pair and set them up at home. Unfortunately, the noise canceling isn't anywhere near as good as the pair in the store.

I can clearly hear voices and sounds even with Adaptive Sound Control turned off and Ambient Sound Control turned on and set to noise-canceling, so the strongest setting available.

I did some Googling and found that this seems to be a very common issue people are experiencing with the newer firmware (4.1.1.) I can see there's a script someone has made to downgrade to the better 2.0.0 firmware but I'm surprised an updated firmware to 4.1.1 hasn't been released to fix this issue.

Could you please let me know if a newer firmware will be released soon to fix this issue? I am able to return these if there isn't a fix which would be a shame as they're great other than the noise-canceling being poor.

gcarmagnani
Explorer

Hi......  I´ll receive the headphones tomorrow........  one important question , the app before upgrading to 4.1.1 is asking for permission or kinda ......  or it does on automatic mode ?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

In all likelihood, your new set will come with 4.1.1 installed.

profile.country.GB.title
ISK__64
Explorer

Hello,

did someone installed the new Update 4.2.2 (30 October 2019) ?

Can you tell me if the update has an impact on the ANC or Sound Quality ?

Thank You

profile.country.GB.title
ArnasN
Explorer

It can't be worse than it is, can it ? Just go for it and let us know ^^

I hope that Sony felt some heat, there is even petitions going on...

https://www.change.org/p/sony-fix-firmware-on-sony-wh-1000xm3-about-anc-issues-after-4-1-1-update

also, maybe reddit will let us know:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/dp2nju/wh1000xm3_422_update_is_out/

profile.country.GB.title
ISK__64
Explorer

Well, I've only had the headphones for a week. And I have the 4.1.1. I wanted to downgrade to version 2 this weekend (Reddit).
I don't know if the downgrade script also works from 4.2.2 to 2.
If the update 4.2.2 should actually improve the ANC again, I wouldn't have to do the downgrade.

profile.country.GB.title
ArnasN
Explorer

If Sony locked the downgrade that would prove that they went full Apple evil... Money over consumer... Even this 4.1.1 almost proves that, isn't it is curious coincidence when Bose downgraded their QC35 II headset with an update and then released new one? 

Just wait, we'll soon get new Sony product with even 'better' ANC...

profile.country.GB.title
1ychee
Explorer

Why you have to wait for the new product of SONY?

Apple AirPods Pro is awesome. Just bought it. Then, next day SONY released the version 4.2.2. What a coincidence! This must be a coincidence!

Really good job, SONY.