Join now - be part of our community!

MDR-RF810R wireless headphones - audio cuts out

profile.country.GB.title
therik
New

MDR-RF810R wireless headphones - audio cuts out

I'm having a problem with my MDR-RF810R wireless headphones in that the audio keeps cutting out. I've been using these and a previous model for several years, so I'm familiar with how they work, and the problem has only started recently.

My setup is to have the base unit plugged into my television, which in turn is plugged into my PC. The output volume on both devices is very high, so it' shouldn't be the 4 minute no audio cutoff problem.

Typically, the audio will be playing for 1-2 minutes, then the green light on the base unit flashes red, goes off, and then goes back onto green in the space of 5-6 seconds. Once it's back to green, the audio continues as though nothing happened until it cuts off again in another couple of minutes.

It seems to be worst when I've just finished charging the headphones for a long period of time (e.g overnight). Adjusting the output volume of the TV/PC down slightly makes the cut-outs more frequent, but on some videos the problem persists even at maximum volume (maximum TV volume, maximum PC volume, maximum video volume).. The headphones' "on" light remains lit all this time.

I've tried changing the audio channel on the base unit and headphones, and I've checked that all cables (power and headphone jack) are plugged in securely. I'm now out of ideas. Anyone know what might be the problem?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @therik and welcome to the community,

I'm just checking this with one of our product experts for you.  I'll update this thread as soon as I have a response.

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi again @therik - I checked this for you and have a couple of things that you can try:

1. If all connections and cables are secure, it could be that the battery/power supply is beginning to fail.  So you could try a different battery in the headphones and reset the transmitter up to see if this solves the issue.
  2. Alternatively the ‘RF’ system may have a problem.  It could be worth checking that just the sound from the TV is OK - so disconnect the PC and confirm the operating condition again.

If you have no luck with either of these, I recommend getting in touch with Support so they can assist you further (details here).

profile.country.GB.title
therik
New

Thanks very much for your reply.

I wouldn't have thought that it's a problem with the headphones unit, because the light on the transmitter cuts out with the sound. As far as I'm aware, the communication between the headphones and the transmitter unit is only one-way, so it wouldn't be that the transmitter is shutting off in response to a battery problem in the headphones.

I've plugged the jack from the transmitter directly into the PC sound card to cut out the middle man of the television, and the problem has persisted, albeit not so badly. I'm beginning to think it's just degradation of the transmitter unit over time. I have had this thing for a while after all. I was just hoping the pattern of the light on the transmitter cutting out along with the sound might be an indicator of some easily solved problem, but I guess not.

I'll try support. Thanks again for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
mayaberner
Explorer

I have spoken to so many people who have had a bad experience with cheaper wireless headphones - the other alternative is to get a wired headphone and a long extension cable. Cable might seem low tech but it is far better for transfering music than even the nicest wireless headphones. This means all the money goes towards the components which reproduce sound and not towards compressing and sending your music through the air. There is no mistake with some most comfortable headphones.