Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless which way

profile.country.GB.title
tabaheights
Explorer

Wireless which way

At the moment I am running a VGC-RA304 desktop machine at home which is currently hooked up to the internet with a Broad Band router with BT Yahoo, I now have a VGN-B3VP laptop which has wireless function, my son also uses a connection for his X Box, I would like to change over to a wireless setup so that I may use my laptop away from my study without a endless cable attatched, can any one reccomend a good wireless set-up which will still give all the access that I have detailed?

8 REPLIES 8
ne1cdamo
Visitor

Derek, Being in a similar position I would highly recomend the NETGEAR DG834GT, I bought from pc-worlds website for £64.99 and am running my Sony (naturally) desktop, FS215Z Laptop and my Xbox. The 108 Mbps easily handles all 3 at once, my broadband provider is Bulldog, But I don't think it would make any difference who you are with. Plus the box says it can handle a 100mtr range but have found being realistic it will handle around 40 mtrs which is still pretty impressive. Also to note is I sit the wireless adapter next to the Xbox and have a network cable running between the 2 or you could fork out another £50 or so on a MN-740 Xbox wireless adapter. hope this helps. Damo

profile.country.GB.title
tabaheights
Explorer

Thanks for the information, do you have a wireless lan access point with your desktop machine, and if you do how do you connect it to the netgear? or is it needed with the wireless router?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah I agree, the Netgear router is a good buy

If you go to my kee-lo website you can see other great gadgets for wireless networking in the elektronix section

William
Visitor

I also spend a lot of time on the Netgear Forum and without wishing to contradict advice already given, I would recommend the Netgear DG834G in prefererence to the DG834GT.

From the ratio of disgruntled posts there the DG834G would appear to be a lot more stable than its "faster" brother and the 108Mps seems somewhat optimistic and only functions on one wireless channel.

The new Rangemax MIMO range seems somewhat better but is still very "new".

Rangemax MIMO

drinkfeckarse
Visitor

I use the netgear DG834GT and have no complaints.

Very easy to set up. A good buy.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I use it's slower brother and I think it's the better one

William
Visitor

I use the netgear DG834GT and have no complaints.

Very easy to set up. A good buy.

Perhaps you could post that on the Netgear Forum..........

profile.country.GB.title
tabaheights
Explorer

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.